Back to December

This is a one shot based on Back to December by Taylor Swift, and if you don't know the song I'll put the video above. 

Will's POV

Snowflakes fluttered gently down from the dark sky as the sliding doors of the grocery store slid open to reveal isles upon isles of food, bustling with the two days from Christmas rush. I glanced down at the list in my hands, my mother's scrawling writing telling me what I needed to get for the dinner we would be having Christmas Day. I knew that she was excited about the dinner. Being a sophomore in college she didn't get to see me much, and I was excited about being back home for the break and seeing all of the familiar faces that had faded away over the time I had been away. 

I grabbed a cart, tossing in a bag of potatoes and enough coke to feed a small army. I passed several of my high school friends as I walked through the aisles, exchanging hellos and stories of college. Good memories began to flow back to me, but there were bad memories in the town, memories I had hoped not to unbury. 

I found one of the bad memories at the freezer where the turkeys were stored. I glanced back down at my list, searching for something else to find but there was nothing besides the turkey to get, and I wanted to get back before the snow made the streets too icy so I swallowed my nervousness, walking up to the freezer and standing next to him. He acknowledged me but it took him a few seconds to register my face but when he recognized me his eyes widen and I watched as his hand trembled just above the turkey. 

"Hey, Nico," I said, fighting to keep the pain out of my voice. "How've you been?"

"Good," he said. His voice was quiet, the same soothing sound I remembered from two years ago. His eyes were connecting with mine and with a jolt I remembered the laughter that had once lived inside those eyes, the sight of my reflection in the dark brown. "What about you?"

"Good," I nodded, my eyes roving across the turkeys. His hand was over the only good one and I bit my lip. "I haven't seen you in a while," I blurted out after a lapse in the conversation. I wanted to take back the words right after I had said them. They would bring back the memories that I hadn't wanted, changing a pleasant conversation into one full of uncomfortable history. 

"Yeah, since the breakup, I guess." There was a hint of sadness in his voice and his eyes were shifted away from me. staring stubbornly at racks of chips on the other side of the hallway. Even though it had been two years, and I was happy with a boyfriend, but it made me irrationally angry that he was still sad about it. It had been his decision, after all. His decision that he wasn't 'ready for commitment' and his decision to leave me heartbroken that cold January night, the tears that had streamed down my face feeling like icicles on my cheeks. 

"I have a boyfriend," I said, my words fighting to get out of my mouth even though my brain was giving me every reason not to. It had been years ago, and I knew that I should have been over the heartbreak, but a small part of me wanted him to feel the same pain he had put me through. And I didn't want to admit it, but I wanted to cover up the fact that even two years later I still thought about him, how his hands had felt intertwined with mine and how his head hand felt, laying on my chest. 

"That's- that's good," Nico said. I heard a tremor in my voice and I immediately felt bad about my harsh decision. His hand wrapped around the turkey and he put it in his cart, refusing to look at me. "I'm still single. It's not all bad, though." He gave me a weak smile but there was no happiness behind it. "Anyway, I should get going. My family's waiting for this food." 

"Mine, too," I said with a laugh, trying to lighten the heavy mood that had settled over the store. I grabbed the first one that my hand touched, not caring if it would feed three people or thirty. At that point, my only goal was to get out of the store. He turned one way and I turned the other, and we gave each other half-hearted waves before going our different directions. I payed, and I could see him a few lanes next to me. He almost caught me staring but I looked away before we could make eye contact. With arms laden with bags I walked back out into the night, snowflakes covering me within seconds. They reminded me of the nights two years ago, when Nico and I had danced in the snow together, holding each other in our arms, unaware of anything in the world besides one another. The memories of those nights came rushing back, flashes of happiness slipping through the walls in my mind I had built around the memories of that relationship. I turned my face to the sky, letting the snowflakes coat my lashes as tears leaked out of my eyes. 

Nico's POV

My high school room was the same as I had left it two years ago, my comforter spread across my bed, the peeling decals on the window offering just enough room to see the snowflakes piling high on the windowsill. I kneeled down in front of my closet, pulling out a small wooden box and flipping open the lid to reveal a mess of objects, a pale yellow sweatshirt still sitting on top. He hadn't asked for it back when we had broken up and I didn't give it back. I pulled it out, and somehow even after years of being stored in a musty closet the smell still wafted up to me, and it made me happy. I slipped it on, the warm fabric engulfing me. I felt a scrap of paper in the pocket and I pulled it out, his neat handwriting staring up at me. Nico, did you know that I love you? it read. I felt tears pricking at the corner of my eyes so I stuffed it back in the pocket, flicking two droplets of water away before continuing. 

I rummaged around in the box, finding what I was looking for tucked in the bottom, underneath a fluffy teddy bear holding a heart in its paw. I turned it on, the familiar sound ringing through the silent room. I clicked onto the photo album and the first thing that I saw was Will's smiling face, snowflakes flecking his hair. I clicked onto another one and it was of him wearing the same sweatshirt I wore now. More and more memories came back as I clicked through the photos. Will laughing while drinking a coke, Will holding out a lone rose, nearly impossible to come by in the dead of winter. I could still remember what he had said when he handed it to me. It wasn't easy to get, but you were worth the struggle. I can't imagine a world where you wouldn't be.  

One of the final things I saw before the pain became too great was a video, the sun illuminating Will like an angel. His smile was wide, his ears red from the cold. I love you he said. What's that? I could hear myself talking from behind the camera, and I could remember the smile. I said I love you! Will rushed toward the camera and there was a shake before it cut to black. I shoved the camera back into the box, my heart heavy with regret. There were tears streaming down my face but I didn't even bother to wipe them away. They were right to be there. I should be sad, sad that I had given up such a beautiful thing and sad that I had never tried to get it back. I put my head on my knees, my body shaking as tears of heartache poured out of my eyes.

Hi guys, I hope you liked that one! I'm sorry to be annoying about this, but I just want to remind you all one last time that I have a new book out, and if you like Destiel you should read it! If any of you have read it, what did you think?

Nina