Flower Crowns and Coming Out

Requested by @Monsterfalls9 and @axxion, who wanted a Nico coming out to Hazel one shot. Also, those of you who request things, your requests will be written, it just takes time, so don't worry. Also, since there wasn't a good time to add this into the story, Camp Jupiter is visiting Camp Half Blood on some little trip, just for a backstory. 

Nico's POV

I watched Hazel from across the dining pavilion as she sat hand and hand with Frank, holding his hand. They were free of the threat of judgement from their peers, a luxury that Will and I were not yet allowed. Will slid into the seat next to me, bumping my shoulder. 

"Hey there, death boy," he grinned, his hand gently rubbing up against mine underneath the table. I could tell that Will didn't want us dating to be a secret but at my request he was keeping our relationship closeted.

"Hey," I responded, shifting my hand away from Will's. I caught Will cast a sad glance at my hand, but his gaze darted back up to my face when he caught me staring. "My eyes are up here," I joked, attempting to lighten the mood. 

"Nico, I like you a lot," he said, averting his eyes. "I've told you that the moment I laid eyes on you, I was in love. But I need to know-" 

"I'll come out soon," I promised. "I just need a little bit more time." 

"Neeks, I'd never pressure you into coming out, but I hate not being able to show people how much I care about you." I couldn't help but blush. 

"I'll do it," I sighed. "Soon. And you're not pressuring me into doing anything, I just don't don't know how to come out. Do I just walk up to every single camper, say 'I'm gay', and walk away?" 

"That's how I'd recommend doing it," Will chuckled. "But you could try just coming out to a few people who are close to you. Is there anyone you'd feel comfortable coming out to?" 

"You." 

"Shut up, idiot!" Will laughed. "Besides me." I shrugged. I didn't have a long list of people I was close to. 

"I guess I'm pretty close to the people who were on the Argo II. Hazel, I guess. But just her for now, at least." I turned to the opposite side of the dining pavilion where Frank and Hazel were standing up from their seats at one of the long picnic tables, putting their empty plates in one of the massive black bins filled with soapy water. Frank said something that I couldn't quite make out and Hazel began laughing, giving him a huge kiss on his cheek. Frank smiled, and they walked hand and hand out of the dining pavilion. I loved Will to death, but I wished I could be as carefree and open with our relationship as Frank and Hazel were. I didn't want to come out to the camp, but still, being in the closet was hard. 

I had had the conversation with Will about coming out to Hazel at lunch, so I thought I would have the rest of the day to find Hazel on her own and come out to the first person who wasn't my boyfriend or Jason, who didn't exactly count, since I had been forced into it by a winged idiot named Eros. Will and I followed her around the camp as if we were her shadows, but she was always with a huge gaggle of friends, catching up with the people she couldn't see any other time. I almost felt bad about attempting to rip her away from her friends, even for a second, but what I had to tell her was important. 

"You know, they'd all be cool with your gayness," Will informed me as we crouched in the tall grass of the strawberry fields, watching Hazel, Piper and Annabeth make flower chains in the pleasant summer sunlight,  exchanging stories about their lives and arguing about who was the best boyfriend. I was pretty sure that I would be able to win that argument, considering mine was keeping his relationship a secret just for me. 

"I know," I sighed, observing Hazel intently. I had been hoping I would be able to waylay her on her way to the bathroom, but no such luck. "I just want to tell Hazel first. She's my sister, and it feels right." 

"Why are we crouching in the strawberry fields watching three girls make flower chains and gossip?" I nearly jumped out of my skin at the voice that had snuck up behind me. I spun around to see the vibrant blue eyes of Jason Grace staring at me. 

"Jason!" I hissed. "Don't do that! You almost gave me a heart attack!" Jason snickered. 

"Nice seeing you, too. I've missed you. Anyway, you didn't answer my question." 

"He's trying to get Hazel on her own so he can come out to her," Will explained. I slapped the back of his head. "Hey!" he complained. "What was that for? He knows you're gay." 

"If you want Hazel on her own, why don't you just call her over?" Will asked. 

"I feel bad taking her away from her friends," I responded, scrutinizing Hazel. She didn't look like she needed to use the bathroom, but maybe with a few liters of lemonade and a few willing volunteers could fix that. 

"Hazel!" Jason called, standing up from his spot in the grass. "Nico wants to talk to you!" I heard Hazel tell Annabeth and Piper that she'd be back soon and she flounced over to me, a new daisy crown sitting atop her mass of thick, curly black hair. 

"Hey, big bro!" she grinned, pulling me in for a tight hug. "What's up? I haven't seen you all day, and I missed you!" 

"See?" Jason smirked. 

"I missed you too, Hazel," I grinned. I had missed her quite a bit. 

"So, what did you want to tell me?" she wondered, adjusting her daisy crown. Even though I knew Hazel would love me no matter what, I still felt a tiny bit of trepidation at the daunting task in front of me. 

"Well, I mean, it's nothing important, really, so if you want to go back to Annabeth and Piper, I'm fine." 

"He doesn't mean that," Will put in. Hazel was now giving me an odd look, as if she almost knew what I was going to say. "Go on, Nico," Will said, giving me a tiny pat on the shoulder. I took a deep breath, the breath that was going to tell Hazel that I was gay. 

"HazelI'mgay," I blurted out, releasing the breath of air as fast as humanly possible. The strawberry fields hadn't been noisy before, but now it felt as if the entire world was holding its breath, waiting for Hazel's response. 

"Well, that's obvious," she finally said, ruining the silence with three little words. I gaped at her, my face slowly turning the color of a ripe tomato. "I didn't mean it like that," she said hurriedly. "I just mean that you and Will are never apart. It's like you're conjoined twins, but you look nothing alike." 

"So you're fine with it?" I asked. A nagging voice in the back of my head had been telling me that Hazel would disown me the moment she heard the news. 

"Of course!" she laughed. "I'll always love and support you, Neeks. If you want to shave off all of your hair and join some weird cult I might be a little bit skeptical, but overall I'll support you in whatever you do." 

"Well, I promise that I won't be shaving off my hair or joining some weird cult anytime soon," I promised. 

"Good," she said. "Now, if the three of you would like to join us, we have a ton of flowers, if you want to make a flower crown." 

"Sounds perfect," Jason decided, walking over to sit next to the two girls sitting in the grass. 

"Wait for me!" Will called, joining the small group on the grass. 

"Come on," Hazel grinned. "I wouldn't let your boyfriend get too comfortable with Jason." 

Hi guys! I hope you liked that one!

Nina