Chapter 38

"How about this dress?" I ask to my bump, looking at my reflection in my full-length mirror. "Do I look like a whale or what?" I groan, tearing the dress off and tossing it into the laundry.

A teenager trying to find a dress for a formal dance is even harder when you're pregnant.

"Alright, how about this one?" It was a knee length, pastel pink dress with a black belt above my bump. I purse my lips, thinking over my decision. "I'm not going to look any skinnier, am I, baby?" I asked, not really expecting an answer as I rubbed my bump. I sigh, grabbing my light pink lipstick and putting it on. I also applied a little eyeliner and mascara.

A knock at the door causes my heart to skip a beat.

"Oh god, he's early." I mumble to myself, internally panicking. I grab my clutch bag and rush down the stairs. My grandmother was walking towards the door when she stopped, seeing me.

"Where are you going all dressed up?"

"To the dance, see you later." I say, opening the door before she could say anything else. Kyle was standing in a tux, holding a single rose in his hand. I close the door behind me, smiling at him.

"Wow, you look beautiful." He said with is own smile on his face. "I brought this for you." He said, gesturing to the rose.

"Thank you, it's lovely." I take the rose and sniff it.

"Should we get going?" He asked and I nodded before making our way to his car.

~~~

The wind blew my hair to my left, causing a shiver to run down my spine. I opened the doors to the school and stepped inside, Kyle trailing behind me. I could hear the music coming from the gym, but it was muffled by the walls. Some people were standing in the hallway talking or making out. Some look over at me with a disgusted look, some were just shocked I was with Kyle. I ignored them, walking towards the gym.

I opened the doors, causing the music to become loud and clear. Everyone inside turned to look at us, whispers and murmurs erupting throughout the crowd. I had gotten used to this sort of reaction towards me, but it normally wasn't this big of a crowd. I felt Kyle sling his arm over my shoulder and led me through the gym, where people were spreading apart to make a path for us.

My eye caught a familiar dark brown one, which caused my heart to leap in my chest. James was watching me with wide eyes with Megan standing next to him, the same expression on her face. Though, I could see a glint of jealousy in James's eyes, making me smirk victoriously.

Kyle led me to the food table and eventually everyone went back to their own business.

"I'm going to go get some punch for us. I'll be right back." He said in my ear so I could hear him. I nodded and he walked off, leaving me alone.

"What are you doing here?" A voice asked from behind me, making me turn around. James was standing before me, an unreadable expression on his face. He was wear a black tux and my breath literally caught in my throat. He looked....so good in that tux.

"I'm here to have fun, like most high school students at a dance." I reply matter of factly.

"You said you weren't coming, and why are you here with Kyle?"

"I wasn't going to come, but then Kyle apologized for freaking out and asked me to be his date." I forced at smile at him. He ran a hand through his hair, his jaw clenching.

"Why him, of all people?" I shrugged.

"He's cute, kind-"

"He is not kind. Did you totally blank on everything he called you in that hallway?"