Chapter 10 (REVISED)

Bella's POV

I was awoken by the sound of the bell ringing, making me  jolt up in my seat. Everyone around me scurries to collect their things and head to their next class. Groggy, I collect my backpack and make my way into the hallway. I head towards my next class, which is English. So, I can take another nap. I've been feeling tired all the time lately. This baby is taking all of my energy out of me.

    "Bella!" A voice calling from behind me, starting me slightly. I turn around and see Michelle pushing through the crowded hallway to meet up with me. Once she does, she smiles. "Can I talk to you? In private?" Confused and inquisitive, I shrug.

    "Um, sure I guess."

She pushes past the slow walkers in the hallway and leads me into the girls' bathroom, closing the door behind her. A bad feeling settled in my stomach.

"Listen, bitch." She started, her voice lower and more powerful than it was before. "James is mine, so whatever was or is going on between you will stop." She crossed her arms over her chest, stepping towards me with a scowl.

If this was happening a couple months ago I would have been scared to death. I'm not one for confrontation, but I've been so irritated about everything lately that I was willing to fight this bitch right now.

    "We're best friends, that's it. Nothing more, nothing less." I cross my arms over my chest, mimicking her stance.

   "I'm not blind. Anyone with working eyes and common sense can see the sexual tension between you two. So do yourself, and James, a favor and leave it alone."

She shoves my chest, pushing me against the wall. My body runs hot with anger.

    "Don't touch me."

I shove her back. Her jaw drops open in shock. The next thing I know her hand meets my right cheek, immediately followed by stinging skin. My blood was boiling. All I could see was red. I grab her shoulder and push her against the far wall. Her eyes shot open in fear as a scream came from her mouth. I lifted my hand up to punch her when the door swung open.

    "What's going on here?"

My English teacher ran through the door. A bunch of students started coming inside the bathroom, boys and girls, and started crowded the entryway. My English teacher gasps at the scene in front of her, grabbing my arms and pulling me away from Michelle.

            "Bella, I did not expect this from you." She said with disappointing sorrow. "Michelle, get to class and Bella go to the principal's office."

She pushed me towards the crowd and I noticed James and Megan standing there, watching in shock. I pushed my way past everyone and made it in the hallway. I could feel all eyes on me. I walked with my eyes to the ground and seething. Soon, Megan was right beside me.

    "What the hell were you thinking?" Megan whisper-yells at me. I take a deep breath, now slightly embarrassed. "You could've hurt yourself. Or worse, the baby."

    "I wasn't thinking. She just made me so mad. I couldn't control myself."

How dumb could I be? I just put my baby's life in danger and it wasn't even born yet. If I couldn't protect my baby now, how can I when it's born?

    "What the fuck?" A voice yelled from behind me.

I took a deep breath and turned around slowly. James looks furious.

    "Looks like that's my cue." Megan cuts in. "I'll see ya later." She scurries off down the hall, leaving James and I alone in the empty hallway.

"What the hell is the matter with you lately?" James yelled. He crossed his arms over his chest, waiting for my response.

"Nothing's wrong! I lost my temper, is all."

As much as I hate Michelle, she makes James happy. So, I decided it was better to take the blame for the fight. They shouldn't break up just because I lost my temper. His eyes fell down to my cheek. All anger washed from his face and replaced with concern.

"Are you okay?"

He steps closer to me, gently placing his fingers on my cheek. I wince slightly.

"Yeah, I'm fine." His face was inches away from mine. I could feel his breath in my skin.

"Does it hurt?" He looks up into my eyes and all the pain washed away.

"Not anymore." I whisper just loud enough for him to hear.

The clearing of someone's voice snaps me out of my trance. James drops his hand to his side, taking a step back.

These hormones are making me crazy.

I turn around to find the principal, Mr. Fisher, standing in front of his office.

"Miss Carpenter, please step into my office." He says sternly.

I give James an I'm-Sorry smile before walking shamefully into the principal's office.