Chapter 21

Bella's POV

I lathered the last bit of red lipstick on my lips, popping them together. I fluff my hair a little, making it look a little messy with the soft curls. I'm wearing a white flowy shirt with black jeans and a gray jacket over top that went great with my red heel boots. I applied a little eyeliner, giving myself a subtle wing before adding some mascara. I decided it was a better idea to hide my small bump, seeing it might freak him out a little. I take a last glance at myself in my full body mirror. Damn, I'm pretty good.

Thank you, lord of fashion.

I grab my phone and check the time, he should be here any minute. I look up and see the ultrasound picture hanging on my wall. I smile softly, my hand involuntarily landing on my bump. Tears form in my eyes as I thought about the ultrasound. My smile quickly faded as I thought about the car ride home, making me sigh.

"Your daddy is an idiot." I whispered to my bump, imagining he or she could hear me. The ringing of the doorbell made me jump. I quickly grabbed my purse and phone before running down the stairs. My grandmother was walking towards the door as I was halfway down the stairs.

"Don't worry, I'll get it!" I said, rushing to open the door before she could. When I opened it, my eyes met Kyle, wearing a grey button up shirt with black jeans and white sneakers.

That's almost exactly what James wore when we....

Wait, no. Snap out of it, Bella. This is Kyle, the guy you like.

"Hey." Kyle said, his lips turning into a smile as his eyes roamed my body. "You look great, Bella." A blush crept onto my face and I had to bite my lip to keep from smiling too wide.

"Bella, who's there?" My grandmother said before stepping into the doorway. "Oh, hell there." She smiled warmly at Kyle.

"Nan, this is Kyle. Remember, we're going out tonight." I widen my eyes at her, trying to signal her through my face to be cool. She caught my drift, and nodded at me with a smile.

"Right, you two have fun and be back by ten." My face dropped.

"Nan! That's too early." I gave her my best puppy dog eyes. I heard Kyle laughing from beside me.

"Oh alright, eleven then."

"Yes! Thank you." I cheered with a thankful smile before hugging her goodbye. Kyle reached his hand out to me and I took it excitedly. Once we were in the car and began to drive, my curiosity got the best of me.

"Where are we going, anyways?" I asked, looking over at Kyle. A smile appears on his face and he glances at me.

"That is a surprise." I pout.

"Can't you just tell me?"

"Nope." I sigh, leaning back in the passenger seat, crossing my arms over my chest. There was silence between us for a while until Kyle broke it. "How was the ultrasound?" His question shocked.

I didn't expect to have this conversation.

"Oh...it was good." I answered, trying not sound as calm as

possible. Why was he asking me this?

"I was just wondering...who is the father?" And there it is. That's what he wanted to know. Of course, I was expecting this at some point, but I wasn't ready for it.

"Oh...I um...he moved away, a month ago. You don't know him." I lie straight through my teeth. I felt guilty for lying, but I had to. I couldn't risk that information being spread around school, it would ruin James's life. As much as I'm pissed at him right now, I still care about him. He's my best friend, I'll always want to protect him.

"Does he know? About the baby, I mean."

"Um...yes, I called him when I found out and he said he wanted nothing to do with me and then blocked me on everything." The lies wouldn't stop coming. It was like word vomit. Lie after another was coming out of my mouth, and it was kind of scary.

"Oh man, I'm really sorry that happened." He said, placing his hand on my knee for comfort. I waved off his pity. I can't stand pity, it makes me uncomfortable and it makes me feel weak, even if it's for a fake reason.

"It's not a big deal, he was a douche anyways."

Lie.

James is the most sensitive, caring, supportive, lovable person anyone will ever meet. That's what I love about him the most, he'll always be by your side no matter what.

Wait, love?

No...yes...like in a brotherly way.

Shut up, Bella.

"Then he isn't worth your love." He said, grabbing my hand in his and kissing it softly. My cheeks blushed and I tried to hide my smile.

~~~

When the car came to a sudden stop, I was very confused. I look outside the window and see nothing but trees to my right. I realized we were parked on the side of the road next to a forest.

"What are we doing here?" I ask cautiously, exiting the car as does Kyle.

"You'll see." He said with a smirk, reaching his hand towards mine. I take it before Kyle begins dragging me into the forest.

"Is this the part where you kill me?" I joke...hopefully. The sun has gone down at this point, making the forest pitch black. Kyle turned on the flashlight on his phone, making it a little easier to see where I was stepping.

"If I was going to kill you, I would've done it by now." He chuckles as he steps over a large branch on the ground. With every crack of a twig or crunch of a leave, I jump. The dark really isn't my thing. I guess he could sense my nervousness because he squeezed my hand gently. "Don't worry, nothing is going to happen to you." I smile, even though he can't see him.

Once we finally reach our destination, everything started to make sense. The forest had an open patch of grass, giving a clear view of the sky above. In the gross sat a large white screen and a fold up camping chair for two with a blanket on it. In between sat a projector and I realized what was happening.

"Oh my god." I bit my lip to keep from smiling too wide. This was the cutest thing I've ever seen. No one has ever went through this much trouble for me before, and honestly, I was flattered.

"Do you like it?" He asked me worryingly, as if expecting me to hate it.

"Yes, I love it. This so so sweet!" I cheer, my cheeks blushing from how pathetic I must look right now. Kyle chuckles, putting his arm around my waist.

"I was hoping you would like it." He planted a soft kiss on my cheek.

"How did you do this?" I ask curiously as we started walking towards the chairs.

"It was easy. My family sometimes has movies in the backyard so my mom let me borrow the screen and project and I just took this two seater camping chair from my garage and set this up before I came to pick you up." He sat down on the chair, patting next to him for me to follow. I sit down and he puts the blanket over us for extra warmth. It was now fall, which meant the weather was going to get colder. It was slightly chilly out tonight, but the blanket made my body feel warm and fuzzy.

"This is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me." I smile at him as he placing his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him.

"I tried." He kissed my forehead.

"What are we watching?" I asked curiously. He leaned forwards and pressed a few button on the projector until an image popped up on the white screen.

"Romeo and Juliet." He said proudly. I chuckled as he pressed play and the movie began to play. With his arm around me, I placed my head on his chest and snuggled up close to him. This, was perfect.

~~~

Who do you guys want together? Bella and James or Bella and Kyle? Comment your opinion.

Vote if you like The Neighborhood.