49.

Rose

I was lucky that I had a late work shift today, meaning I could sleep in. I really needed that as yesterday night was such a mess with me and my feelings, being around my brothers at the time I should've been asleep.

I had slept for nine hours straight, not waking up for even one time. I still felt a little tired, but a lot better than yesterday. I had thought about Thomas' words and I again knew he was right. I wasn't going to admit my feelings today, but if the time was right for it.. I maybe would.

I was a little nervous to see him today because of all the admitted feelings, but I pushed all of the thoughts aside and decided to have a fresh start today. I was going to be professional and act the way towards him we had always done since the first day.

I got out of my car and entered the huge hospital, quickly pushing myself inside of the elevator as it was almost closing and there were many people in it. I gave them an apologetic smile as some of the people were looking at me in annoyance and I sighed in relief when a few people left when we arrived at the first floor.

When we arrived at my department I stepped out and walked over to Caroline's small office, which I could use as well. I always had to read the shift reports first before I could start working. It was necessary but also easy. You'd know if something had happened with any specific patient or if there were particularities we needed to give attention to.

I started up the computer and hung up my coat and bag, sitting down on the chair after that. I opened the program we used for electronic patients files. Clicking on my thirty patients, I noticed that someone had edited the file of Zayn, meaning something either had happened to him today, or someone added the results of the scans in it.

I pressed on it and started reading. I was curious, and I was allowed to, so I opened his file and started reading the shift report from this morning.

The first impression I had this morning was that Zayn is doing much better. He was still asleep when I entered his room, but once he woke up and saw me he smiled instantly, something he hasn't done the past few days.

He told me he had slept for hours and that he felt better. He wanted to get out of bed and I helped him with it because it took him a long time to find his balance as he hadn't been out of bed in days. After that he went to the toilet himself and took a shower on his own where he wouldn't stop singing. He ate some soup for lunch and told me he wanted it for dinner too, preferably chicken soup.

I smiled by myself. He was doing much better, I could tell. He barely talked the past few days and now he was singing in the shower and ate soup. It was a really good sign. I felt more relieved after reading this. There was written more, so I continued reading.

His temperature was 37,5 last time I checked. His wound is still slightly open but I already cleaned it for today. I also took out the tube feeding, and placed it in his other nostril (it went well after he threw up two times) due to an irritation on his cheek because of the band aid.

Attention points:
- Irritation on his left cheek. He tends to itch it, but he's not allowed to. He puts ointment on it himself. ( triamcinolone vaseline cetomacrogol cream)
- His open wound due to the radiation. (It's cleaned already but check on it!)
- He wants chicken soup ;)

I sighed a little. I felt bad for him that Caroline had to take out his tube feeding and bring it in again but in his other nostril. When I did it he threw up as well, which was so obvious for me. Something went down your nose and throat, that's never a good feeling. I just hoped it didn't ruin his mood.

At least his fever was finally gone. He had been caught up with it for days, now he could finally rest for real. He needed it.

I smiled satisfied while closing the program and switching off the computer. I knew what I could expect now, and it would hurt so much less to see him being better. It always gave me so much.. hope. Hope that he really was going to get through this sickness, no matter how long it still was going to take.