nineteen | bowling balls & jokes

Rose

"So you wouldn't mind to work a night shift next week?" Caroline asked after checking my assignments and writing her paragraph on it, to which I internally cheered.

I shook my head. "I don't mind it. It's a hospital, I have to learn it." I answered genuinely.

Caroline nodded, "Yeah, sadly." She chuckled. "But if you really don't feel like it, you have to tell me. It's just an open option. You're over eighteen so then you're allowed to work night shifts. It's not busy at night around this department as the patients are usually all asleep but someone has to be here in case something goes wrong, obviously. And you also have time to do school work." She placed all of my papers back into the folder I had brought.

"I'll do it. Do I get the day before or after off, though?" I asked, thinking it was kind of obvious, but who knew? Working in health care was rather.. problematic nowadays.

"Yes, you'll have both off. Don't worry about it. You'll have to sleep somewhere in between, don't you?" She smiled at me and handed me the folder back. I stuffed it into my backpack and zipped it up.

I chuckled, "I'd like to sleep yeah. But it's okay. I'll do it." I placed my bag back onto the floor and wrote my shift down in the colleagues diary everyone wrote their shifts in.

"That's great, Rose. You're very motivated. We love students like you." Caroline mentioned, making me smile at the compliment. "Everything seems calm now when it comes to the patients. Why don't you go to the so called 'chill room' and have fun with the patients there? Have a little talk with them, or play with the kids. A bit of recreation. You deserve it."

"Alright, that's good." I placed my bag in the wardrobe and made my way over to the door, turning around for one last time. "When do I have to come back?"

Caroline glanced at the clock and shrugged slightly. "Don't worry about that, love. I'll come and get you if we got something else to do. I'm going to report and do some administration now."

"Okay, great. I'll see you then." I smiled and we waved at each other as I left the room. I adjusted the uncomfortable white nursing jacket but I was already glad that I got to wear my own denim jeans.

I made my way over to the chill room, as Caroline said and the door was already open so I didn't have to awkwardly come in with everyone staring at me.

The room was big and the walls were full of drawings made by kids, paintings made by actual talented patients and loads of happy colors and photos. In the room were a lot of patients doing their own stuff or doing things together like playing games, drawing or just chatting. It was a nice vibe. The radio was also playing. Not too loud, but enough that you could hear what the artists were singing.

There were tables with chairs around them, a small stage were some kids were playing something like X Factor, which was extremely cute, and there were also single seats.

I walked over to some kids and saw them playing with barbies and cars, boys and girls mixed. They all seemed really happy and that made my heart warm. They deserved the happiness they could get.

A bald girl walked over to me, curiously looking up, "What's your name?" Her eyes were full of admiration when she looked at me, making me melt at the sight of it.

"I'm Rose," I smiled lightly, stroking her head with my hand. She held up her barbie and I saw it was a barbie with almost the same dark brown hair color as me. Another girl stood up and stood next to us, a frown on her face.

"My barbie is nurse Rose." The girl said proudly, her small teeth showing.

The other girl pouted, "But I want nurse Rose! She played a game with me another time so I get to be Rose."