four | friends & paragraphs

Zayn

Taking a seat on one of the empty but colorful chairs, I noticed Nathan, a friend of mine, searching for a place to sit. The room where breakfast was served wasn't really big, and as the group of children, who mostly ate together, was quite big, many seats were taken.

"Nate!" I exclaimed, hysterically waving my hand in order to gain his attention, "Nathan!"

Once he noticed me, a wide grin appeared on his face and he took a seat across me, fist bumping me. "Hey, man. How are you feeling today?"

Smiling at him, I shrugged, "I'm feeling alright, actually."

Nathan scratched his bald and exposed head, the damage of the three chemotherapy sessions he had had. He was two years older- twenty three- which I was grateful for as there weren't a lot of peers, here. We hung around quite a lot, as he had gained much more energy after the heavy sessions, and I still had enough energy as I was still in the early stage of my sickness. Another thing I was grateful for, Nathan made my days in the hospital much more fun.

"When are you starting chemotherapy?" He asked while taking a bite of his breakfast, which consisted out of a croissant and water. Staring at his medication, I noticed he had to take less than me, but I knew his medication was much heavier.

I shrugged again. "They didn't tell me. I have to get a few tests and scans soon, then I'll know. But probably after I finish my immunotherapy, or if the immunotherapy isn't working for my body." Yawning, I ran my hand over my face and looked up at him. "How are you doing?"

Nathan smiled widely, "Pretty good actually. As you can see I'm tube feeding- free and I haven't been nauseous in a while now." He continued eating his croissant, sighing happily. "Best thing I've ever tasted after the pureed food."

"I'm happy for you, Nate." I mumbled genuinely. He seemed to be getting much better, and he deserved that after the difficult time he had been through. I mean, every sick person here deserved to get better but since Nathan was my friend, it would do me so good if he'd get clean.

"How's your wound doing?" I wondered, remembering he had had surgery a few weeks ago, which had caused a mean wound around his ribs.

Nathan lifted up his shirt, "Also pretty good. Don't you think?"

Observing the wound on his skin, I couldn't help but smile once I saw it had almost healed completely. "This is amazing, dude. I'm so happy for you, once again." Nathan gave me a sad smile, knowing I still had to go through these things.

Taking the medication strip of pills, I pressed them out of its packaging and laid them on the table in front of me. Three pink ones, two yellow ones and one white pill. Some were big, the white one was very small. Grabbing my glass of water, I gulped the white one down within a second, seeing it was small. The other pills took me quite some time, and after trying for minutes, they were finally down, wiping the tears that had collected in my eyes due to the unpleasing taste away.

"Did you have breakfast yet?" Nathan raised his eyebrow at me, pointing at the empty plate in front of me.

Looking up at him, I met his blue eyes instantly, "I stuffed a sandwich in my mouth a few minutes ago. You weren't here yet." I nodded, smiling at him in amusement, as he could be overprotective over me sometimes.

"Ah okay. Just asking. You're going to throw up if you don't eat something before taking your medication." Nathan chuckled, then grabbed his phone and started texting someone, a huge smile grew on his face.

I chuckled as well once I noticed how he was trying to stop himself from smiling. "Who are you texting?" I gulped down the remaining water and placed the glass on the table in front of me.