twenty | family & friends

Zayn

"You've got so many cards like.. wow." Waliyha, my seventeen years old sister, sighed softly as she stared at the wall I had covered in cards and drawings from friends and family.

I nodded, "Yeah, but I barely know who some people are. They only send you something because you're sick." I chuckled and slowly shook my head. A little out of disbelief. I mean, the gesture was nice of course, but if I wasn't sick they wouldn't have said a word to me.

"Sadly." My sister rolled her eyes and sat down on my bed. She came by with my older sister Doniya, who had her license already and they were going to spend the weekend in London. They decided to visit me today and I was very happy to see them. Doniya was currently getting some coffee whilst Waliyha stole some cards to read them.

I was seated in bed, the sheets covering me up till my lap as I was feeling extremely cold since the moment I woke up. I was wearing my Marvel beanie today, which didn't match with my blue and white striped pajamas at all but I didn't mind.

"Mum told me that Liam and Anthony are coming over. Did you know?" Waliyha sat down on the bed while still reading some of the cards, throwing them onto a messy pile once she had read them.

I frowned. "No, they didn't tell me."

Waliyha looked at me and chuckled, "Nice communication then. They're probably coming around 2. So that's in an hour." She glanced at the clock, nodding her head in confirmation of her own words.

"Oh." I sighed then smiled.

Liam and Anthony were my best mates back in Bradford. They hadn't come over for ages as they both were busy with their jobs as well. Liam was also working for a music company and Anthony was working as an auto mechanic. He was soon to be boss from his dad's own small business, so I was definitely very proud of him.

We had met each other at high school and had become the best friends ever since. We just fitted well together with our personalities and interests, although cars didn't really interest me, it did interest Liam.

"Where's Caroline?" Waliyha questioned, pinning the cards back on the wall with colorful pins.

I shrugged. "She's not always here." But at that exact moment Caroline walked into my room with a tray of food and some drinks for me and my sisters.

"Oh hi Waliyha! Long time no see. Zayn told me the other day that you were coming over with Doniya. I've got lunch for the three of you." She placed the tray on my bed and I gave her a thankful smile, totally zooming out when she started a conversation with my sister.

I looked back at the door and wondered where Rose was. It was Monday, she'd be here, right? It was her workday and she was usually with Caroline most of the time unless she gave her something else to do.

I sighed slightly and grabbed the tray, knowing she wasn't here anyway. It kinda disappointed me, even if I didn't want to admit it. Only because I liked her company though, nothing more.

I took my sandwich and ate from it, reaching for my pills which were laying on my nightstand. I pressed them out of the package when I heard my room door open and close again. My head shot up, only finding out it was Doniya.

Caroline smiled at me while nudging my arm. "She's not here now, Zayn. Rose has a night shift tonight."

I blushed as I didn't know I was being that obvious. Then, I frowned, "A night shift? Why?" The most nurses who worked night shifts were women on age who had nothing else to do at daytime.

"We asked her and she wanted it. She can learn from it. It's something else. She'll be doing her schoolwork though, so I'm afraid you won't see her this week as you'll be sleeping tonight and she'll have tomorrow off." Caroline explained to me, thanking Doniya as she had gotten her coffee as well.