twenty three | Sarah & disappointments

Zayn

"Come on, mate. She's waiting for you! Didn't you sleep at night or something?" Nathan pulled the covers off me and I groaned loudly, pulling them back on when I saw his wide and playful grin on his face.

Covering my whole body with it, I included my face, not feeling like getting up today. "I'm tired. Let me sleep."

"It's three pm. You've been asleep for almost the whole day already. Answer my question." He chuckled and poked my head, trying to coax me out of the warm place that was my bed. "Didn't you sleep?"

Rubbing my tired eyes, a yawn managed to escape my lips. "Bye, Nathan."

"Zed, I swear.." He pulled the covers off me again and I felt the cold wind coming through the window on my warm, pajama clad, body. I shivered and covered my sleepy face and head as I still felt slightly uncomfortable being bald with people around.

Nathan held the covers tightly so I knew I had no chance of getting them back. So I sat up, grabbed my beanie and pulled it all the way over my face, my lips the only part showing still. Crossing my arms over my chest, I closed my eyes and quietly sat down like that.

"Seriously?" He chuckled and he pulled off my beanie, revealing my bald head to him and little Sarah as she just walked into my room and stood still in my doorway.

Her eyes widened and her lip began to tremble soon after, her eyes filling with tears. I frowned, "What's wrong, love?"

She started crying, loud and heavy sobs were heard. I quickly got out of bed and crouched down in front of her. "Hey, look at me. What's wrong?" I softly pulled her hands away so I could look into her eyes, the blue color brighter because of the glistening in them.

She pointed at my head. "Y-your hair is.. g-gone." Tears continued to roll down her face and the sight of it made me feel sad.

I chuckled softly, "But your hair is gone too! And your hair was way longer than mine so the loss is bigger." I placed my thumb on her face and brushed her tears away, softly pinching her cheek after that.

She shook her head. "Your hair was b-black and so pretty it was black.." She continued to sob and I couldn't help but smile a little, her appearance never failing to make me feel better about everything.

Sarah's blonde hair was loved by many people when she still had it, though, Sarah had only been interested in my black hair- so her mum told me.

"Don't worry, Sarah. It'll grow back. Just like your hair." I stroked her head. I could feel soft hair growing already as she had had her last chemo weeks ago and her hair was about to grow back again. It looked fluffy but it was blonde, so she was getting her own hair color back at least.

She wrapped her small arms around my neck and rested her head on my shoulder. "Love you Z-zayn." She continued to sob and it almost made me sad that she was so sad about my hair, she was so young, but so selfless.

"I love you too, but I love your smile even more! So stop crying, okay?" I spoke softly, pulled away and brushed the tears off her face. Sarah started giggling and she softly pinched my nose, a cheeky expression visible on her face.

I chuckled and pinched her cheek softly. "Cheeky one. What did you want to do here, anyway?"

"Mummy says I have to say bye." Sarah looked at the door and her mother stepped inside, giving me a warm smile.

I returned it but felt a little confused. "Why do you have to say bye, Sarah?" I stood up and stretched my legs a little as they started to hurt from being crouched down for a while.