thirty seven | reunited & Planet Earth

Rose

"If that isn't our beloved Rose. I've missed you!" Caroline smiled widely once I entered the small office, were the wardrobe for the nurses was. Her eyes looked up from the reports she was reading from the other day onto the computer.

Smiling back, I felt relieved. "I'm really happy to be here again. Being in bed all day gets boring at some point, but I was feeling to weak to even get out of it." I mentioned, sheepishly, while I hung my coat in the wardrobe, along with my bag. Adjusting my shirt, I buttoned up my nursing uniform blouse.

"Oh, I totally get that, love. I'd rather you rest up well instead of coming too soon. It would only take longer for you to feel well completely. Also, I'm surely not the only one who has missed you." Caroline mumbled out, not giving away any expressions, until she looked at me and soft chuckling left her mouth

"Is Rose still sick? When is she coming back? Has she told you on which day she would try to come? Is she okay? What's wrong with her?" Caroline imitated a voice that belonged to a guy. "Aka, Zayn."

Smiling, a warm feeling glowed inside of me. "No way, really?"

"Oh, don't get me started. He couldn't stop asking about you, said he felt bored without you. Don't say it, though. He didn't want me to tell you, but.." Caroline shook her head, a smile plastered on her face as she turned her attention back to the computer screen.

Smiling again, I let thoughts cloud my mind, wondering if he cared about me too. Honestly, I hadn't stopped thinking about him when I was sick in bed, wondering if he felt like that too, because a fever was such a miserable thing on its own. I had been worried about him, it killed me to not know how he was doing at that very moment. Would he be too sick? Was he doing fine?

Yeah, he had been the only patient that I had been thinking about.

"How cute." I grinned lightly, only to try and make it seem as if it didn't do more than my feelings, towards Caroline. I didn't know how he did it, but he always brought a smile to my face, if I wanted it or not.

"He's something else." Caroline chuckled, her gaze falling on me again. "Anyway, I suggest you can just start your day slowed down, so maybe you can go over to Zayn's room and give him his tube feeding? He'll be happy to see you, I know for sure."

"Sounds lovely. Thanks, Caroline." A satisfied sigh left my parted lips, knowing there was no better thing to start the day with than taking care of Zayn.

Deciding to keep my hair down as I had showered in the morning and it hadn't dried up completely, I wore my hair tie on my wrist and ran my fingers through my hair. Not being able to do anything with my hair when it would be wet- it'd only get knotted.

Leaving the small office room, I roamed around the department for a while, wondering if things had changed in the week I hadn't been here. Once I had checked upon everything, I silently made my way over to Zayn's room, wondering if he was awake already. Everybody else seemed to be asleep still, and as Zayn usually wasn't awake around these early hours, I figured he was still sleeping as well.

Pressing my ear to his door, I listened if I heard anything. It was him I heard, but other faint noises did come from his room. Debating whether I had to knock or not, I decided to still do it- he still had the rights for his own privacy.

Waiting for a moment, he hadn't replied, making me wonder if he was asleep, despite the fact that I had heard something. I opened the door, but complete darkness had engulfed him. The flickering images of the television was the only light, lighting up a silhouette that was sat up in his bed. He was wrapped up in a fluffy blanket, his beanie almost covering his eyes. He seemed cold.