eight | coldness & Dawson

Zayn

Taking my painkillers and afternoon pills, I engulfed my black hair into one of my red beanies. Since there were activities this day, I decided to leave my room.

Today's activities consisted out of ball games with the kids, teenagers and young adults who liked to join. The games wouldn't be too wild, as they always had to be a little more careful since we were all sick, but they were tiring enough- for me at least.

I had slept a good full three hours with the nap I took and my energy went up for a bit. It would be down in no time again, talking out of experience, but it didn't matter. I needed to do something to kill some time in the days I had to spend here, and the activities were the perfect opportunity to do so.

They were held outside, where we had our own space to hangout on. It was the hospital's property and it was quite big, so it wouldn't feel like you were outside but still locked like you would've been in prison.

Stepping outside, I pulled my beanie further over my ears to keep them warm. I stuffed my hands in the pockets of my jeans and made my way over to the group of people I saw not too far from me, wondering if they were already joining the activity.

Patients from my age and older were playing some basketball, while the kids were playing a simple game- sitting on the grass and rolling the ball over to one another after yelling their names. Laughter confirmed that they were having fun, and it made me smile.

I slowly made my way over to them and sat down on a very low stone wall, watching them in enjoyment. Suddenly, my eyes fell on Rose, who was playing the games with the kids. A nurse I didn't really know that well was near the patients from my age. That nurse probably didn't have anything else to do as the patients from my age or older could entertain themselves pretty well, but it was whatever.

My attention went back to Rose and I watched her as she was playing with the kids, her own smile brightening the kids' moods. It seemed that she was good with them, and the kids seemed to love her which was a good thing.

Sinking deeper into my jacket as a sudden, cold, breeze hit me, I pressed my lips to the zipper of it. The sun was shining, but despite that- it was still rather chilly to me.

"Hey Zed! Wanna join?" Nathan asked me, who had apparently been here for the whole time, which I didn't notice. His face was flushed red, pants heard from exertion as he jogged over to me.

I shrugged then shook my head, "No, I'm fine watching you all."

He raised his thumb at me and continued with his basketball game, dribbling and scoring quite a few times. I watched him for a while and smiled at an older guy who came to sit down next to me. He didn't say much, but I didn't feel like talking either so it wasn't a problem to me.

The game had stopped so the kids could take a well- needed break. Rose gave the kids, who were free from tube- feeding, something to eat and drink as they sat down on the grass, giggling and laughter still heard. Eventually I noticed Nathan walking over to Rose. He had started a conversation with her, their laughs making me wonder what they were talking about.

It made me feel strange, as if I didn't want them to talk to each other. Staring at them for a long time, I quickly looked down when they split ways and Rose walked my direction. I pretended to look at something else, until her shadow hovered over me.After a while I looked up again and saw her standing near me as she was playing with her fingers and looking around her.

"Oh, hey." I gave her a smile, placing my hand just above my eyebrows to block the sun that shone in my face.

Rose turned her face to me, her long, dark, locks falling over her face. "Hi, Zayn!" She gave me a warm smile and took a step closer to me, closing her eyes as she turned her face to the sun.