Get Out of My Head

Start from the beginning

"What kind of fool do you take me for?" he growled. "How dare you insult Felicia's memory with such a lie!"

"He's not lying!" Nora shouted. "She was there! She talked to us, Jacob! She –"

Jacob couldn't listen to another word of this. He wound up his arm and struck Nora, slapping her hard across her lying face. She squealed and held her reddened cheek, more in shock than in pain. "Jacob..."

How could they? How could they try to use his dead sister against him? Were they even trying anymore? Either way, Jacob was done with them. There were plenty of other officers who would follow orders without question. Yes, it was time he washed his hands of these traitors.

Jacob held out his hand. "Give me your badge."

Nora's eyes widened. "You can't be serious..."

He turned to Nate. "You too."

Nate grimaced. "What the hell, Jacob?"

"Don't make me repeat myself."

Heartbreak was written all over Nora's face. She kept shaking her head. "Jacob, please! I'd never lie to you! You know I'd never lie to you!"

No matter how hard she pleaded, Jacob would not let her sway him. He remembered the things she said while Boaris carried out his part of the plan. She had turned against him then, and she had turned against him now. She couldn't be trusted. Everything she had done for him didn't matter anymore. She had thrown it all away because she suddenly had a foolish, irrational attack of conscience. Her betrayal made Jacob's heart scream in agony. He wanted her out of his sight, now.

"Hand it over, Nora."

"I... I'm still..."

He wasn't going to say it again.

Tears welled up in Nora's purple eyes. She slowly reached for her badge, and with a shaking hand, she placed it in Jacob's hand.

Meanwhile, Nate held his badge and stared bitterly at it. "So, that's it? After all these years, you're just going to cast us aside like it's nothing? Some friend you are."

"I could say the same."

With clenched teeth, Nate dropped the badge into Jacob's hand. Jacob took the two badges and placed them on his desk. "Nora Miller and Nathan Miller, effective immediately, you are both hereby discharged from the Human Government Military Police. Turn in all your allocated assets to the requisitions office and vacate the premises."

Nora sobbed, tears were running down her face. "Jacob, don't do this..."

"You did this."

Nate held Nora's shoulder. "Let's go, Nora."

Quietly, Nate led Nora out of the office. Before they left, Nate turned back to Jacob. He stared him down with his yellow eyes, and he punched him hard in his nose. Jacob painfully recoiled from the blow, and Nate walked out of the office with Nora, leaving Jacob to himself.

Jacob sunk back into his seat and held his bloody nose, trying to ignore the growing sobs from outside. His heart turned to lead. Why were those brats so good at turning his own friends against him? First Nate, and now Nora. He never thought Nora would betray him. Ever since Felicia's death, she had always been there for him. How could she, of all people, do this to him? He trusted her more than anyone. She... she promised she'd always protect him.

Jacob buried his face into the desk. Was he really wrong? Was it wrong to keep Earth safe? For fuck's sake, it was just common sense! Imagine if a nuclear missile could be effortlessly created and launched by just two people. Anytime, anywhere. That's what monsters were, except they even more dangerous than nukes. Why didn't people understand that? Were they so fixated on social justice that basic common sense was lost on them? They were all idiots. Maybe they deserved to be killed by monsters.