Cute//Harris j

"Flight 512 to Toronto, Canada has been delayed.."

My eyes threaten to close and I have to keep drumming my fingers against the steel bench in order to keep awake. It's as though every part of my body - my legs, my arms, my neck - all have the same intention of aching until I cry. I sigh for the hundredth time and attempt to find a comfortable position but to no avail.

There's a cool breeze coming from somewhere unknown to me, but I realise that the chill down my back is another thing keeping me awake so I don't complain, despite the mountains of goosebumps that have spread across my arms.

I watch the clock's hand move round and round its face. It's as though one minute it was close to midnight and now, as I'm sat on the exact same bench, it's coming up to three o'clock.

Looking to my left and then to my right, there doesn't seem to be many people around, only the odd man or woman dragging their suitcase across the floor. I somehow feel as though I'm the only one waiting for the delayed flight. I wrap my arms around my stomach and lean my head against the back of the steel chair, it sends shocks through my neck.

Behind me, far at the other side of the airport, there's a glass window that fits the length of the room. Every now and then, there'll be minute flashes of light from the awakening of a plane. Orange would cloud every inch of it's vicinity.

"Flight 512 to Toronto, Canada has been delayed, we apologise for.."

I refrain from cursing the woman's voice and sit up for the first time in a long period of time. My legs no longer feel a part of my body and I have to bounce them up and down to begin to feel the familiar static feeling running through them. I wipe my eyes with the palms of my hands.

"Excuse me." A voice rings through the space I thought was empty and causes me to jump slightly due to the sudden sound.

I look up to see a figure towering over me. It takes me a few seconds to take in their appearance due to the fact that I'm currently seeing stars after having pressed the palms of my hands into my eye sockets so hard.

"Uh, hi," I mutter, and my voice cracks.

"Anyone sitting here?" The boy points to the seat beside me where my bag lays open, its contents almost spilling out. I think it's his way of asking me to move it.

"Um, no," I reply, already grabbing my bag and pulling it onto my lap. I subtly look around the room and see the rest of the benches completely empty.

"Thanks." He smiles and I'm hesitant to return it, but I do.

We sit in silence, apart from the occasional announcements over the loudspeaker.

When I get chance, I can watch the boy out of the corner of my eye. His brown hair is cut short but it seems to be growing steadily, and his skin is tanned perfectly. Every now and then he'll reach to his right before raising his hand to his lips.

I run a hand through my hair and it's as though he'd forgotten I'm here and my movement startled him. He turns to me and I can hear a soft crinkling sound.
"Grape?" he asks and offers a tub of grapes to me. At this point, I'm beyond confused and shake my head. "It's cool, I haven't done anything to them, like poisoned them or anything." He grins menacingly.