Frisk felt a pit in his stomach. He had given Sans the means to put Gaster back together, except it wasn't his Gaster. This just kept getting more and more depressing.

"Don't worry, I'll help you," Sans said. "I had already given up, so even if I can't bring him back in my timeline, saving him in yours will be more than I hoped for."

Frisk truly felt bad for him. Even with the scarce details he had, he wanted to cry for him. "Th-thank you, Sans. You're a great friend."

"Hey, keep it together. We've got a job to do."

Heh, that was funny coming from Sans. Frisk nodded. "What do we do?"

"Eh, it's not hard, actually. We just take this little head to the machine in my basement, and then we wait."

"What for?"

"Someone back in your timeline needs to do the same thing, and a portal will open.... Does anyone know you're here?"

Frisk sure hoped so. "There were two people with me when it happened. Hopefully they're okay. The other version of you was close by as well."

"Good. If you got a fragment, they should get one too."

Frisk began to feel relieved. This was going to be easy from here. All he had to do was get to Sans's basement. He'd be reunited with Chara and Asriel soon, and everything was going to be fine.

He was ready. "Alright, let's go."

Sans, Flowey, and Frisk left the hotel room. Out in the hall, Mettaton stopped them. "Ah, leaving already?"

"Yeah," Frisk said. "We're going to Sans's house."

"Well, do you mind helping me out first? It's on the way, and it won't take long."

"What do you need?"

"Just wait for me by the bridge between Hotland and Waterfall."

That sounded a bit odd. "Huh? Why there?"

Mettaton giggled. "It's a surprise! You'll see!"

"Uh... okay?"

Well, he had to cross that bridge anyway. It shouldn't have been any trouble.

"Fantastic!" Mettaton exclaimed. "When you get to the bridge, just sit tight! It should only take a second!"

At was the least Frisk could do to repay him. After all, Mettaton healed his wounds and sheltered him when he could have easily turned him over to Undyne. Frisk was perfectly willing to return the favor; he just wished he'd tell him what it was.

"I'll... keep an eye out," Frisk said.

"That's all I ask! See you there!"

"See you..."

That was kind of weird, but Frisk was sure it would all make sense in the end. Frisk walked out of the MTT Resort with Flowey and Sans.

Sans was still holding the disgusting Gaster fragment. "I'll take this and go on ahead. See you at my place."

Sans and his 'shortcuts.' It was fine; Frisk didn't feel like being teleported more than necessary. Traveling through alternate realities was enough for one day. "Okay, I'll catch up."

"Bye." Sans walked into one of the alleyways by the MTT Resort, the opposite direction of Snowdin. It was like his magic was designed to screw with people.

Whatever. Flowey and Frisk kept walking. They took the elevator to Hotland. The bridge to Waterfall was just a short walk away. They reached it in no time at all. Frisk stood by the water cooler that was placed by the bridge. He hoped Mettaton wouldn't keep him waiting for long. He wasn't a fan of Hotland's heat, and he always felt paranoid that he might fall into the lava below.