"You probably at least suspected this," Frisk said, "but that human possessed a special power. He could turn back time whenever he wanted, but he never used it. I'm not like him. I also had this power, and I used it to undo the deaths of Toriel and Asgore, as well as my own."

And then the barrier was broken, ending millennia of imprisonment. God, Frisk felt so bad for them. His world may not have been perfect, but it was a far better outcome than what they were stuck with.

"Interesting," Sans said, his attention diverted to Flowey. "So, what's the deal with you and Death Blossom?"

Death Blossom? A chill ran down Frisk's spine. Had Flowey killed anyone since the other Frisk left? "Flowey, don't tell me you..."

"Nah," Flowey said, "he just knows what I did."

"What? He remembers resets?"

"Nope."

"Then how does he know?"

Sans winked. "I have my ways. Anyway..."

"No murder today," Flowey promised. "Frisk and I have a deal that I can't afford to break."

"Oh, so the human has a name. This is quite the learning experience for all of us. So, Frisk, why are you here"

"I didn't mean to," Frisk said. "I just want to go home. That's all."

Sans laughed. "Funny, that's exactly what the other you wanted. He just wanted to get back to the surface."

Huh, so the other Frisk came Underground by accident. That was different from him, who climbed the mountain with the intention of freeing the monsters all along. This world's version of the surface must have been very different. Were they even aware monsters existed? Was that possible? Forgetting the war was bad enough, but how could the humans possibly forget seeing Asriel near Mount Ebott in 201X?

Well, that didn't really concern him. Like he said, he just wanted to go home. Frisk picked up the Gaster fragment and showed it to Sans. "Umm, do you know what this is?"

Frisk had never seen Sans's eyes light up so much. Not even his static smile could hide his shock when he saw it. "It... it can't be..."

Suddenly, Sans seized the fragment from Frisk's hands. He stared at it, as if struggling to believe what his eyes were showing him. "Where did you get this?"

"Uh, just now," Frisk answered. "Some kind of shadow monster gave it to me."

"They just showed up and gave it to you? Why?"

"U-uh... to help me get home, I guess. I was hoping you'd know more."

Sans kept staring at it, for quite a while. The silence grew unsettling...

"... heh... heh, heh... Kid, do you have any idea how hard I tried to find him?"

Sans had talked about this before, hadn't he? He said he had 'given up.' Is this what he had given up on? Finding Gaster? And... the others? How important were these people to him?

"I did everything I could," Sans said. "I was determined to save them, to change their fates, but it didn't matter. Eventually, I decided that all I could do was accept that Gaster and the others were gone, forever. And now, after all that, one of them just shows up and hands you a piece of him?"

Frustration filled Sans's voice. For a long time, Frisk knew something was bothering him; he just didn't know what it was. He seemed happy enough on the surface, but sometimes, Frisk wondered if he really knew Sans at all.

"I... I'm sorry," Frisk whispered. "I don't really understand what happened, but I'm sure it wasn't your fault."

Sans sighed. "Well, I suppose I should be thankful you've found this, even if it's not meant for my timeline."