18

Jennifer's POV.

"Or you could just...bring your fucking ass over here and take care of this, I'm sick and tired! I'm just going to put this on the board meeting. I can't handle it anymore! Whenever you feel like it, come over here, where we need you. Your choice." I heard Leah and she was pretty angry. She threw her phone on the desk. She never actually noticed I was looking at her the whole time.

"Everything okay?" I asked with my sleepy voice. "Oh, I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" she said walking towards me. "It's alright. I was awake already. What's it?" I asked. She sighed and sat down next to me. "I don't know why people gotta be so inefficient. I just- ugh! There's this doctor, he never actually does his damn job. I'm tired of it, the thing is...he's pretty damn good at what he does, he knows that, and he takes advantage. Fucking asshole." She said sounding really frustrated. "I'm sorry." I said and touched her thigh. She looked down at my hand and smiled, "It's okay, it's not your fault." I nodded. "Let's go have breakfast." "What time is it?" I asked and sat down yawning. "Almost ten." "Oh woah, it's actually pretty early." "You think so?" She laughed a little. "I- yes." I shrugged. "I've been up since 8, so no, it's not pretty early. Lazy ass." She joked. "Oh lord, how do you do it?! I'd be dead by now." She shrugged, "I'm used to it already I guess. Now get your ass up. There are clothes over there, let's go eat."

-

Half an hour later we were sitting at a pretty little restaurant close to the hospital.

"I'm starving, you have no idea." Leah said reading the menu. "Same. Honestly, same." I did the same.

We ordered our food and then I was just looking at her. She was typing something on her phone. She's really pretty, really really pretty. I love how she was all over her work. I liked her.

I don't know if I had feelings for her, but I liked her.

"So, how's this kid from last night?" I asked and she finished with her phone and put it down looking at me. "Her name is Casey, still the same, her signs are getting better but she's still not awake. I fear she's just not going to, this was one of the biggest fears, biggest risks. But we are waiting, it's weird because her signs are getting better, so that gives us hope." She forced a smile. "Hopefully she gets better." I smiled.

"Any specific reason as in why you are so into this? I mean is it just because of work or?" I asked.  I was curious.

"Well, yes...and well...my sister lost her baby, for something like this, I believe thats why I'm so into kids at the hospital."
"Oh god, I'm sorry...her baby had cancer?" I was so shocked. I shouldn't have asked such a thing.

"Yeah, she was four. She didn't make it." Leah said and her eyes got watery. "I- I'm so sorry I didn't know I- I'm so stupid. I'm sorry." She wiped the tears away and smiled softly. "It's alright. It's been a long time now, but I just, don't want to let it happen again. It saddens me just to think about it, ever since I just can't let it happen to any other kid. That's basically why I went to medical school." Leah said. "This happened almost ten years a ago. It was pretty sad. Now my sister got four kids, healthy ones. But she's never let Grace go. She got pictures of her everywhere in her house. I understand that's not something you can just, let go of that easily. At least she stopped crying and continued with life." She shrugged softly. "So you were a kid when it happened? Oh I can't imagine." This was so sad.

"I was fifteen, I was almost done with high school, and that was the last thing I needed for me to go for medicine." She explained. "It was a pretty rough moment for us." She sighed. "So I'm a general surgeon, because I go for everything, specially kids, just because. Grace was basically my motivation."

I grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

"You're so fascinating." I said and looked at her. "There's a lot more to know, just bare with me for a little bit longer." She winked. "Consider it done." I smiled and we just stared at each other for a second. She squeezed my hand back and we were interrupted by the waiter.

"Thank you." Leah said and we let go of each other's hands and started eating.

-

"Thank you for everything. I'll call you, and if you don't mind, keep me updated about Casey?" "I will, I owe you a better graduation celebration." She laughed a little. "I'll take that, let's do something." "I'll call you." She smiled and winked. "Alright well, I need to go and put myself together." I said. "You better." We laughed. "Bye Jen." "Bye Leah, hope you have a good day." I said and went to kiss her cheek and something happened and I ended up kissing her lips, not complaining but...

"Oh- okay, alright well, that's...yeah, okay... thank you." I was trying to hide my smile and I of course let out some nonsenses before walking out and inside the building's lobby. "Text me!" I heard her yelling from a distance. I couldn't stop smiling.

_____

I wanna publish it all already lol!
:)

Ps: if there's any issue with the chapter as in, trying to read or something, lmk.