Will You...

NIX

Our first flight was bumpy and long due to the snowstorm, and by the time we landed I was desperate to get out and walk around, though we just barely made our connecting flight, which was only slightly better.

I couldn’t help but notice how Adam jumped nearly every time his phone made any sound. He’d hesitate before checking it, then relief would wash over him. Right before we landed in Paris, I turned to him.

“Have you heard anything from Tommy?”

He gave me a sideways glance. “No. Why?”

“I was just wondering. It’s been a while. He hasn’t even posted on Twitter or Snapchat or anything.”

“You still follow him?” Adam snapped. I gave him an incredulous look.

“Uh, of course I do. Why wouldn’t I? Do you not?”

Adam squeezed his eyes shut for a moment. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it to sound that way. Um, yeah I do.”

I let it go, but there was something he wasn’t telling me. For a moment, panic hit me that Adam had somehow found out about me and Tommy hooking up. But surely Tommy wouldn’t have revealed that, right? He said he wouldn’t. Besides, it was in the past, and wasn’t something they would have gotten angry at each other over...was it?

In the airport we met up with my coworkers and friends, but I was anxious to see Adelaide. She’d decided to bring along her sister, Lauren.

My phone was off the hook as Adelaide texted me where she was, and soon enough I found her near baggage, her long blonde hair in a fishtail braid and the darker haired Lauren beside her.

I broke away from Adam and raced over and hugged Adelaide tightly, then Lauren, praying that she wouldn’t be such a killjoy this time, but she seemed in high spirits.

“Oh, my God you guys!”I said, grinning. “Can you believe it? Paris!”

“I know!”

I turned as Adam approached, taking off his sunglasses and adjusting his beanie. He stopped dead, several feet away.

“Guys, this is my boyfriend, Adam.” I beamed.

Adelaide smiled despite Adam’s awkwardness, which was very much unlike him. He gave me a look and stepped closer, extending his hand to Adelaide, but hesitating before Lauren. She gave him a strange smile that didn’t reach her eyes, but shook his hand anyway. Adam averted his eyes to the ground, letting his carry on drop to his feet. Okaaaay.

 I struck up a conversation with the other two, mourning the fact we couldn’t get rooms in the same hotel, but made plans for dinner that night. We all got our luggage and found taxis outside waiting for us. We parted ways and Adam half dragged me into the car.

“What is your problem?” I asked, miffed.

“I’m just impatient.” He said.

“For what?”

He glanced out the window at the monolithic buildings covered in snow. “Well, Paris is for lovers, and all that.” He gave me a wink.

“Wow.” I blushed, annoyed he still had this effect on me after all this time. “As long as we aren’t late for dinner tonight…”

Our room was amazing, not very big, but it had a little balcony and-I gasped- a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower.

I rushed to the little glass door and stared out through the clouds at the dark shadow of the incredible landmark.