Shaky Ground

1 year, 4 months in total since breakup

It was on the plane to Milan, when I finally found the courage to try his number again.

Adam...hi

! Message not sent.

It's Nix.

!message not sent.

Adam

!message not sent.

I bit my lip, tears of frustration blurring my vision.

Adam, I still l

The plane banked suddenly and I shut my eyes against the wave of nausea, clutching my phone tight. When I opened my eyes my phone had shut off.

It was probably for the best anyway.

To: Neil Lambert:

Neil, it's Nix. How are you? I know it's random timing but do you have Adam's #?

Neil: Nix, hey! Doing good, you? Killer to hear from you again. His number hasn't changed as far as I know, but it's not working. He isn't answering anyone :/

Do you think he's okay?

Neil: I'm not sure. All I know is that he was living near Cork Ireland last time.

I looked out the window, calculating dates in my head. In 3 weeks, I'd have enough time to fly to Cork. But...how the hell was I supposed to find one man in a completely foreign city?

Thanks. Let me know if anything changes?

Neil: of course <3

3 WEEKS LATER

I brushed my hair back and shut my office door, preparing mentally for the morning meeting, the last one I had to deal with before I left on vacation. Luckily, my boss hadn't objected or even questioned why I was requesting a vacation so soon after starting. Adelaide had told me she'd been hearing rumors floating around that my connection to Adam may be implemented soon. I was aggravated obviously, but was prepared to answer if the questions did arise. Otherwise, I had a book full of sketches and new ideas I was eager to present to them. I arrived at the conference right on time, taking my seat beside Adelaide, who greeted me.

"Ms. Decker," I said with a little smile. A game we played now was to pretend we were as snooty as everyone else around us then laugh about it later

The meeting began a few minutes later, going right into our most recent sales. It was a full twenty minutes before Mr Dean, head of marketing, turned to me. "So, Miss Barrow, we wished to talk to you about something."

The atmosphere around the table changed, becoming charged with impatience and excitement.

I straightened up, giving Adelaide the side eye, fearing the question was upon us.

"We know Mr. Adam Lambert is quite a frequent customer here, we were thinking if we could manage to bring him on board for some designs and shoots. Trouble is, nobody can get in contact with him."

I sighed and gave him a dangerous smile. "Sir, with all do respect, him and I broke up over a year ago. I don't know where he is either, he isn't in contact with anybody as far as I understand. And frankly, sir, I'm shocked at the audacity of your request. I was not an extension of Mr. Lambert, I was his equal partner. I stood alone in both my education and career then as I do now, and it is expected to remain that way."

Adelaide smirked behind her notebook, her eyes crinkled with amusement.

Dean's mouth was slightly ajar before he closed it and cleared his throat.

"Of course. My most sincere apologies, Miss Barrow."

I inclined my head-something I learned was a good enough acceptance of an apology here.

The rest of the meeting went smoothly, and when Adelaide and I returned to my office, I shut the door and we squealed in laughter.

"Okay, we're celebrating that completely epic smashing," Adelaide said. "Drinks tonight?"

I nodded and wiped away my tears. "Definitely."

The rest of the day went by quickly and soon enough I was locking my door behind me, and joining Adelaide on the walk to the nearby pub.

We linked arms, turning our faces to the last rays of summer sunlight.

"I invited my sister, I hope that's okay. She never has time off. I think you'll like her."

"Totally! I didn't know you had a sister?"

"Yep. She's older than me and works right in London."

"What does she do?" I asked as we went down a side street.

"Mostly works in shops. Sort of like add jobs because she's never happy settling. She seems to enjoy it though."

We reached the King's Kross pub and entered, Adelaide dragging me over to where a dark haired woman stood, leaning against the glossy bar, watching the soccer match on the television in the corner.

"Hey!" Adelaide called.

The woman, her sister, beamed upon seeing us, until her eyes fell on me and her smile faltered.

"Nix, this is Lauren. Lauren, Nix Barrow."

We shook hands and I smiled, hoping she would lighten up.

"N-Nix? Is that short for something?" Lauren asked.

"Phoenix."

"She works with me at Westwood. As my boss." Adelaide stuck out her tongue and I rolled my eyes.

"Phoenix Barrow? I've heard of that name." Lauren said lightly. Oh, God. Not this.

"Were you a model or something?"

I exhaled and nodded, relieved. "Yeah, in New York."

"That's it."

"Let's get some drinks, and wait until we tell you what Nix said during a meeting today, oh my God. It was beautiful."

Lauren's smile was tight lipped and I turned away, hoping beyond hope she wouldn't be a killjoy on the celebration tonight.

 ( :O

Aiming for a double update today, guys!

~CG)