Unstoppable

I was trembling as I sat down across from the girl named Jasper. Her hair was back in a ponytail and she clutched her mug of coffee with both hands.

"Why do I feel like I'm trying to illegally get information about a fugitive or something?" I joked lamely. Jasper cracked a smile.

"Before I get into everything I just wanna say that Adam and I were never a thing, just friends. I was here on summer break then decided to stay and work for a while. Honestly, I'm not sure why Adam was here besides the fact he just wanted to get out of L.A. He didn't perform, he didn't find another job, he just kind of...moped around. I tried to get him out and doing things but he rarely did."

"He was depressed?" I said, stomach twisting.

She nodded. "Very. He didn't talk about you much to me but I could tell it was eating him up inside."

I shifted and looked at the table; it hurt to hear this but I wouldn't be content unless I did.

"What did he tell you?" I asked quietly.

"Enough for me to guess everything." Her voice was very concrete and I met her eyes, a strange tug of shame and embarrassment scratched at me.

"So then you know what he did." I said flatly.

Jasper nodded. "I don't care about knowing any more, either. What I want to know is why you're doing this."

"Doing what?"

"Hunting for him! It was obvious he's trying to move on and I think you're trying to do the same, so why are you reopening the wound, Nix?"

I bristled at the audacity of her question. "It's none of your business."

She rolled her eyes. "If you're still in love with him, whatever. But Nix, I don't think you should go after him unless you're planning on making whatever it is much more...solid. Permanent. I don't think he'd survive you a second time."

"So what you're telling me is that I shouldn't even try unless I'm willing to totally forgive him and act like it never happened?"

Jasper shrugged. "That's up to you. All I'm saying is that...don't break his heart again."

I sat up straighter, annoyed. "I didn't break his heart, Jasper, he broke his own heart. I don't know what possessed him to cheat on me or if somewhere in the back of his mind he thought it would all be okay, but it wasn't. Maybe what we both really needed was time and maybe he's changed. I want to forgive him and I want to give this another shot. Maybe it'll all go to hell again but if Adam is willing to try, then so am I." Tears now threatened to burst from my eyes so I pushed back my chair and stood up, trembling slightly.

"Did he say where he was going next?"

Jasper opened her mouth, closed it slowly, then looked down at her hands and shook her head. "No." She said softly.

I took a deep breath. "Fine, then. I'll go to every fucking country until I find him. I don't care how long it takes me. It was nice meeting you, Jasper."

I left without another word, stepping out into the chilly breeze of the cloudy day and watching blindly down the street. Maybe she was right, maybe this entire thing was a horrible idea, and in my heart I wasn't sure why I was so set on tracking down Adam, I just went with my instinct that I had to find him.

I stopped on the sidewalk and looked up at the clouds, feeling cold droplets of rain hit my warm face. I took a deep breath of the fresh air and let it fill me with renewed hope and vigor.

Nothing would stop me, nobody would get in my way.

(Sorry it's short!)