A New Start

I peered excitedly out the window at the landscape coming up to meet us, the tones of gold, orange, and red leaves painting the trees

I turned to Adam and grabbed his arm, grinning.

“Isn’t it beautiful? There’s nothing like a New England Fall.”

He smiled in return and kissed my hand. “It is beautiful. I can’t wait until we spend more time here.”

“Imagine the winters, Addy. A nice fireplace and the dogs curled up in front of it...snow falling outside the big windows and the lights coming in through the curtains, hot cocoa, ice skating…” I sighed in content at the mere idea of it, so much prettier than Los Angeles, where things never changed.

“That does sound amazing.”

After a thankfully uneventful trip through JFK, we took a cab to our hotel, and I smiled fondly as we passed the Westwood building.

“We should try to find some other places to check out while we’re here, make the trip worthwhile.” Adam said, taking out his bottle of pain medication and taking one. I nodded.

“Makes sense.”

We settled into our room and curled up on Adam’s bed (I’d silently requested two beds, to which he had no objection) and we rented a movie. I soon drifted off to the rise and fall of my head on his chest, his hand sliding up and down my arm in a soothing motion, the bustle of the city outside. It was almost like it used to be.

“Nixxy? You wanna go to sleep?” Adam’s voice stirred me and I mumbled in confirmation.

“I’d pick you up but I can’t right now...I’m sorry.” He said, kissing my temple.

“‘S’okay.” I managed to pull myself up and tip over into the next bed, falling back to sleep instantly.

We went to breakfast at a little cafe and I needed an espresso to wake myself up. I let my eyes roam over Adam as he looked down at his phone. I’d convinced him to match me today, so we were both wearing  military green jackets (his with studs on the shoulders, of course,) he wore gray jeans and I wore black leggings while we each had on black boots. I tugged on the gray beanie and I carefully brought my curled hair over my shoulder.

“I know you’re looking at me.” Adam said with a smile.

I cupped my chin and crossed my legs. “Shamelessly. I have a lot of time to make up for.”

Adam’s boot touched my leg under the table and I squeaked, sitting up straighter.

“We should get going.”

We held hands and hailed a cab to take us to the upper West Side, where the penthouse was. My leg bounced in excitement the entire drive there, and I pulled out my phone to snap a few pictures and post them.

“Here it is.” Adam nudged me and we hopped out of the cab, standing on the sidewalk in front of an ivory and black marbled building with iron handrails leading up a curved staircase to the front door.

“Oh my God,” I breathed. Adam shot me a look of exhilaration. We walked up the steps and knocked on the door to be greeted by a woman in a light gray pantsuit and a bright smile.

“Mr. Lambert?” She extender her hand. “Sasha Teller.”

Adam shook her hand and put his arm around me. “This is my girlfriend, Nix Barrow.”

“Nice to meet you. Come on in.”

 We entered the house and I tried not to gasp.

Black wooden floors were under my feet, black, gray, and ivory were the main colors. A grand staircase swept up to the upper floors, made from white marble with black specks and a twisting white handrail. Directly ahead, down an airy hallway, we could see three huge, floor to ceiling windows and the sunlight streaming in. I looked at Adam and we shared excited glances. He squeezed my hand and we followed the realtor.

“So, what do you think?” Adam asked that evening as we sat down to dinner in Manhattan. I smoothed my black strapless dress and unfolded my napkin.

“I loved it. I’ve only dreamed of places like that. It’s perfectly located, the dogs have so much space, the lighting is incredible…” I sighed and regarded him over the soft light above.

“I liked it a lot too. The bathroom was insane.”

“Which one?” I chuckled.

“All of them, to be honest. It was such a good mix of modern and classic, just our styles.”

“If you had your way I know we would be living in a split level from the seventies, complete with sunken living-room and shag carpet.”

With pink flamingos in the yard.” He added. “You know me well. But I guess I can trade out the popcorn ceilings and wood plank walls for marble and brick. For you.”

I smiled and took a look at the menu, glancing over the options. My time in London had increased my knowledge of strange/fancy foods, and I could pronounce them like a pro now.

 With a bottle of white brought to our table and our orders taken, we wasted no time talking more details about the house.

We looked at a few other places the next day, but the one on the West Side was by far our favorite. Adam talked more with his team and agents, and then returned to the hotel room, where I was anxiously awaiting the final word.

Adam slowly shut the door and set down his phone. I jumped up, hands clasped.

“Well?”

“Well…” he sighed. My heart dropped.

“You ready to move?”

I screamed and threw my arms around him, laughing in joy. “It’s ours?”

“It’s ours, baby doll!”

“Oh my God!”

“You’re going to get your New York winter.” He smiled, kissing my cheek.

I sighed happily and we plopped onto the bed. “I’ve gotta tell Adelaide! And Paris and Kailea…”

“I’m happy you’re happy.” Adam hummed.

“Aren’t you?”

“Sickenly.” He winked.

(Aww yay Aix feels!)