Everything.

Soon, Tommy and I were able to just relax and hang out together, returning to my empty apartment and watching a movie on my laptop until it was nearly two AM.

I closed the laptop and glanced at Tommy from the corner of my eye at the same time he looked at me. We were close, having leaned into each other during the movie, the way friends do. But I knew the look on his face, in his eyes. Whether or not he knew it it was clear.

I sighed quietly and let my eyes scan over his lips, which parted as he spoke.

"I'm really going to miss you, Red."

"I'll miss you, too."

And then it was happening. Easily and casually, as if it was something we did every night.

Tommy's lips gently met mine and his hand rested on my thigh, sending little shocks of excitement through me.

I returned the kiss, trailing my hand up his arm and shoulder and into his fluffy hair to pull him into me.

He was suddenly above me, pinning my arms down by my wrists on either side of my head and straddling me, leaning down so we were touching. His eyes searched my face, blond hair tickling my cheeks and red wine scented breath overwhelming my senses.

My heart picked up and I couldn't fight the energy coursing in my veins like whitewater. I wanted something I shouldn't from him.

I lifted my head up and caught his lips with mine once more and he groaned, letting go of one hand and moving his down my side.

"TJ," I whispered between kisses. "We can't."

He pressed a kiss to my jaw before pulling back. "Why?"

"It's not right. We've already...I don't want to ruin anything. And Tommy," I cupped his face. "Tommy, I don't want to make this harder than it already is. I love you, you're my best friend, but let's not fuck that up."

Tommy sat up and slid off of me, nodding. "You're right. I'm sorry, Nix."

"It's okay." I touched his shoulder then stood up to get him a pillow and extra blanket for the night.

"See you in the morning." I said, giving him a small smile and retreating to my room, where Pongo lay on my bed.

I crawled into bed beside him and stroked his fur, completely unable to calm my heart down.

Then it occurred to me;I'd never asked Tommy if he had feelings for me. When we'd hooked up that was a moment of weakness for both of us, but just now...was he hoping the same would happen again, hoping to keep me here, or trying to express something else? I almost couldn't keep from marching out there and asking him, but in my heart...I didn't want to know. Nothing would make me stay.

Tommy had bought donuts and Starbucks for breakfast by the time I woke up. We were quiet as we ate, him leaning against the counter and me sitting on the one remaining barstool.

"Do you need help with anything today?" He finally asked, brushing crumbs from his shirt.

I looked around the house. "I don't think so. The movers are coming to get everything today and I'll leave later this afternoon, stay at my parents' for a night, then catch my flight around midday."

Tommy nodded. "Sounds good. What do you wanna do before then?"

"See New York one last time. I wonder if we could get into a show so last minute."

And we ended up doing just that (I pulled some strings thanks to my connections at work,) and were seated front row for CATS within a couple of hours.