Don't Let Me Down

ADAM

I had been Christmas shopping all day, the backseat of the Bentley was full of bags, boxes, and the like, but there was still one last place I had to go to.

I parked outside the diamond store yet again, drumming my fingers on the steering wheel and chewing my lip. This was a huge decision. Life changing. What if she said no? I hadn’t even asked her dad because, let’s face it, he would never give me permission. So I decided to do it differently and call her brother, Hunter.

After five rings he answered, sounding surprised and a little panicked.

“Adam? What’s up?”

“Hey, Hunter. Everything is fine. How are ya?”

“Doing well. Yourself?”

“Never better. Listen, I wanted to, uh, ask you something.” Oh fuck, my confidence was gone. This was real life shit.

Hunter’s tone got serious and it was obvious he knew at once where I was going with this.

“Okay...what’s up?”

“Um, well, I wanted to talk to you about Nix.” Shit. Why was I so bad at this?!

“What about her?”

“Well, she-she never really told me how she wanted this to be done so I’m just going with it. I know your father hates me so I decided to ask you instead.”

“Mmm hmm.” Hunter mused. My leg started to shake and I cleared my throat.

“I love Nix, so much. I know I haven’t been the best for her in the past, I admit that. I’ll never forgive myself for what I did, but it taught me that I never want to live without Nix ever again. I cherish her so much and I will do whatever it takes to protect her and love her forever.” I swallowed and shut my eyes. “So, I guess what I’m asking is if I can have your permission to marry her.”

There was a moment of silence that rang in my ears. I couldn’t hear the blaring rap music, the car horns or the constant city bustle even though I was right in the middle of it. Every shape was a blur and every heartbeat was a drum.

Hunter finally spoke. “I know you love her, Adam. I also know that whatever it is you did fucked her up pretty bad for a while. But she loves you, and none of this is my business. I won’t lie; it was hard for me not to hunt you down after you broke her heart, but I stayed out of it.”

 My eyes widened; my mouth was dry.

He continued. “If you think you won’t screw up again and that you can give her what she needs, and you know that I won’t let you get away with it a second time, then yes; I give you my permission.”

I exhaled the breath I had been holding and grinned. “Thank you so much, Hunter. Truly. I won’t let any of you down again.”

“You’re welcome, Adam. And I trust that you won’t again. When are you going to ask her?”

“I’m not entirely sure...when the time is right.”

“Do you have the ring?”

I glanced at the store. “I think I’ve chosen the right one, yeah.”

“Well, when you choose a time and place let us know. And congratulations, man.”

“I will. Thanks again, Hunt.”

We hung up and I shouted in relief and excitement, jumping out of the car and once again covering my face as casually as I could while entering the store. New York was much different than L.A, hardly anyone noticed me here and nobody knew our exact address yet so they weren’t hounded us around.

I tried to calm my nerves as I walked in and went straight up to the clerk, asking to see the ring I’d put on hold a few weeks ago.

“Would you like to purchase this today, sir?” The gray haired man asked. I bit my lip, staring down at the gorgeous white diamond, and nodded.

“Yes, please.”

“Congratulations. I hope it all works out.” He smiled and I breathed in.

“Yeah, me too!”

Boy, didn’t I...

(OH MY GOD I KNOW IT'S SHORT BUT WHO ELSE IS SCREAMING? I have been waiting for this moment for so long!!! Aix is growing up omg
-CG)