Breathless

FLASHBACK

Nix

I woke up with my face pressed into my pillow, sweat cold on my neck and back and heart squeezing painfully in my chest. I rolled over and sat up, throwing back the blanket, careful not to disturb Adam's sleeping form.

I tiptoe down the hall and to the guest bathroom, shutting the door behind me and flicking on the light to see my reflection. I was pale but looked terrified.

After splashing some cold water on my face, I took a few deep breaths to try and regain my composure from the aftermath of my nightmare. It was strange it happened now, after being nightmare-free for almost three months, and it had been bad. It wasn't so much of a nightmare as it was just a terrible flashback to that...day. I wondered what triggered me but nothing came to mind.

There was no way I could sleep again, so I went downstairs to make some coffee to keep me awake. It was five AM, so it wasn't too much of a loss of sleep for me.

I stood at the counter, filling the coffeepot with water and biting my lip at the tremor in my hand.

"Babe?" It was Adam's voice, husky with sleep.

I nearly dropped the pot and hastily set in the tray and moved onto to open the bag of coffee.

"Nix, are you alright? It's fucking early." He was behind me, I could feel the heat coming from his bare chest.

"Uh, yeah." I mumbled.

"I think you're lying." He said, touching my shoulder. I winced and shrugged away from his hand, spilling coffee grounds onto the floor.

"Don't," I whispered, panic shooting through me.

"What? Don't what?" Adam asked, hand falling to his side. "Baby, please tell me what's wrong? Did I hurt you?" His face immediately fell into anguish. "Last night, did I hurt you? Please tell me the truth."

I shook my head and moved further away. I couldn't help the reaction my mind was having, as if my brain was refusing to accept the fact that it was only Adam here, my best friend, my boyfriend, my protector. Someone who would never hurt me. It just wouldn't settle.

"No, Ad. You didn't. I, uh, just had a nightmare, okay? No big deal."

"Evidently it was. Why didn't you just wake me up?"

"You need the sleep. And you should be sleeping right now."

"You're more important. You know you can trust me."

"Can I?" I whispered.

Adam was silent for a moment before planting both hands on my arms and turning me around. I gasped and attempted to wriggle free, refusing to look him in the eyes.

"Phoenix! It's me! Calm down, Firework, you're safe," he tried to soothe me, then brought me to his chest, holding me tight. "I'm not gonna let you go. Take a deep breath, remember where you are, OK? You're with me, in California, at home. You're far away from that place and that man, and I will never, ever let you get hurt like that again, understand? Baby, please look at me." He let me move back just enough to finally gaze up at him through my tears. There he was. Adam. Messy hair falling into his face, scruffy beard starting to grow back. I ran my hand down his arm, feeling the strange texture of his tattoos beneath my fingertips.

"I'm-I'm sorry." I quivered, some control being regained.

Adam gently kissed my forehead. "About what, baby? You have no reason to be sorry."

Tears filled my eyes but I didn't let them fall.

"Do you want me to stay up with you?" Adam asked, now stroking my hair.

I sniffed. "No, it's alright. You need to sleep."

"Are you sure you'll be alright on your own?"

I smiled and brushed my lips against his. "Yeah, babe. I will. I love you."

"I love you, too."

He gave me one last look, as if doubting that I really was okay, but retreated up the stairs.

I exhaled and covered my face, still shaking. Adam was right, though; he would never hurt me. I found some solace in that and repeated it to myself over and over again until my heart was instead replaced with warmth, and not the chilling fear of bad memories. I thought about last night and a blush crept into my cheeks. Maybe it was stupid that being with Adam after all this time still made me a bit dizzy, but here I was; concealing breathy giggles behind my fingers, the shadow of his lips over my body making my skin tingle once more.

This breathless, electric sensation was something I hoped would never go away.

(Sorry this was so short, guys, but I wanted to update with something!

How do you guys like the new cover?

Comment, vote, all that :P

~CG)