Let It Rain

Sometimes, rain is refreshing, purifying. Even when it’s frigid and you’re alone, the sun has been down for hours, and there’s a group of dudes following you.

Wait, what?

I turned my collar up and shoved my hands deeper into my pockets, turning my head ever so slightly and catching a glimpse of the hooded guys behind me. Four of them, snickering and talking in heavy accents. Fear shot through me, even in my numbed state of depression.

“Oi, lookit this wanker, mates!” One of them spoke up loudly. “Seen ‘em out at the bar the other night...fag!”

I grit my jaw and kept walking, but heard their footsteps speed up, closing in. Fuck. I really wasn’t gunning for this tonight!

Finally, unable to escape my fate, I stopped and turned around to face them, Should I fake that I had a weapon?

“C’mon, guys. I don’t want anything happening here.” I said, attempting to sound casual about it. The guys stopped and I could take them in under the street lamps. They weren’t much bigger than me- none of them were my height or seemed very close to it, but were much stockier.

In other words; very capable of kicking my L.A ass.

 Words were exchanged, ones I didn’t bother trying to really hear, and before I knew it a fist had collided with my jaw, knocking me to the ground.

I struggled to my feet just as they all converged upon me, fists and feet hitting and kicking every inch of me, throwing me back to the ground.  I yelled and covered my head when a particular jab landed near my ear. Come on, Adam! Get up and fight!

I rolled myself away and managed to stand up, staggered back, and raised my fists. Blood pooled in my mouth, my ribs ached, and it felt like every other space of my skin was bruising.

“Stop,” I gasped, spitting blood. The man that had thrown the first punch snickered, obviously exhilarated.

“What’s the point of this?” I panted, struggling to focus. “I don’t owe you anything, I haven’t done anything wrong. Just leave me alone!”

He tilted his head. “I just don’t like your look. Pretty boy like you just moves in? Nah, you’re running from something. How many gays you goin’ down on, eh?”

A heavy fist met my jaw again but I stayed on my feet by sheer will. It rattled my teeth and I heard a crunch in my ears. I screamed in agony and clutched at my face, tasting the blood and sharp pain shooting up to my temple.

“Oi, Liam, that’s enough, man. Someone’s gon’ hear!”

Yes, please, leave!

A knee was brought up to my stomach, earning a deep wheeze from my lungs, and I am on the ground, soaked and shivering.

“Don’t come back around here.” Snarled my attacker. “Understand?”

I nodded, the motion sent spasms of pain through my neck.

 They retreated, their footsteps faded away into the cold night and I’m left bleeding, half unconscious on the pavement. The rain has blinded me and every breath is agony; I can’t stay alert any longer.

 My face meets bits of gravel and the rough surface of the road, and my brain gives over into darkness.

(Sorry it's so short, everybody! I have a lot of things to write for work that is literally taking up all my creative energy, but I wanted to finish this because it's been a while. A little bit of an action scene, too! Fun!
Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!
~CG
P.S, B.G has over 15.5k reads!!!!! KEEP IT COMING! SHARE AND TAG YOUR FRIENDS!)