The Tiger and the Phoenix

The next morning I woke up slowly, no alarm, no panic to get ready. Just naturally. I sighed in blissful content at the warm arm slung over my waist and the leg tangled with mine. By the pattern of his breathing, I knew Adam was awake.

I gently rolled over and he opened his eyes, cracking a smile at me. “Good morning, beautiful.”

“Hey there, tiger.”

“Sleep good?”

“Amazing.” I stretched and buried my head into the pillows.

“Hungry?”

“Mm.”

“Breakfast in bed, then.” Adam kissed my neck and tossed back the covers. I shivered and yelped in complaint.

“I’ll turn on the fireplace.” He chuckled, and I heard the click of the gray stone hearth it roared to life. I wished it was real wood.

I sighed once more, completely happy. But the bed felt empty already without Adam in it, so I clutched his pillow tightly to me.

“Here come the dogs!” Adam yelled from the stairs. I braced myself as the scuttle of nails clacked along the hardwood floors and then two bodies landed onto the bed. Pongo wiffled and began licking my face, while Pharoah quietly and gently settled into the crook of my midriff and shut his eyes. I scratched Pongo behind the ears and laughed as his tongue lolled out..

I loved this. It was like having a little family.

The scent of French toast wafted up from the kitchen and my stomach growled, making the dogs tilt their heads.

I kissed Pongo’s nose and rolled over to grab my phone, scanning through the hundreds of notifications from Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.  A few friends had texted me and I replied, but the inbox under one name in particular was still empty.

Tommy.

It had been weeks since our last conversation, while we were in the middle of moving. I’d been surprised TJ hadn’t even offered to help, so I shot him a text with a reminder that he should at least come and say goodbye. He’d replied that he had a gig, he was sorry, but good luck to us.

I’d asked Adam what his deal was but he simply shrugged. “Dunno.”

I bit my lip (then winced) and shot Tommy another text. Hey...you there?

It didn’t even say read so I left it at that. I went to Twitter, as I hadn’t been active in a while, took a picture of the dogs curled up with me, and posted: so happy...does it get better than this?

Of course, within minutes, people had liked and retweeted it like crazy. I grinned when I saw that Adam was among them, having added a comment as well.

Well, I haven’t burned breakfast yet and I have your favorite tea!

I replied. Ok, it just got better :) <3 hurry up with that food!

From downstairs, Adam laughed and I couldn’t help from giggling. I watched the Glamberts freaking out over our exchange, insinuating just exactly what had gone down (they were right, of course) and Adam and I being tagged a billion times.

I scrolled through and randomly liked a few to make someone’s day, then put my phone back on the bedside table.

Adam soon appeared with a tray of food, carefully balancing everything, tongue between his teeth.

“Alright, doggos, off the bed!” He commanded. Pharoah wasted no time in obeying him, but Pongo, who was in Adam’s spot, gave him a sassy expression.

“Pongo, c’mon, get down.” Adam said firmly. Pongo rested his head and heaved a sigh, totally ignoring Adam.

I burst out laughing but nudged the Dalmatian. “Go on, kid.”

He eventually got up, taking his sweet time, and hopped to the floor, purposefully almost knocking Adam over as he passed.

“That dog fucking hates me.” Adam said, exasperated as he set the tray down between us.

“Hate is a strong word...he’s a teenager now, you know. He has attitude problems.”

“I wonder who he gets that from.” Adam mused, winking at me.

I shrugged. “Guilty.”

 We dug into our breakfast; French toast with powdered sugar and strawberries, cantaloupe pieces orange juice, and a winter spice blend tea.

 We talked and ate quietly until I got a glance of the clock over the dresser.

“Shit!” I groaned. “I have to get that work done.”

Adam sighed but nodded, finishing his coffee. “Okay, I guess I can let you go.”

“Sorry, baby. If I didn’t have to do this I wouldn’t. Thank you so much for breakfast. It was perfect.” I kissed him and slid out of bed, heading to the shower.

Fifteen minutes later I left the bathroom, hair down and air drying, to find Adam still on the bed, holding Pharoah above him and making airplane sounds. I grinned. How fucking adorable was that?

The dog wagged his curly tail and gazed down lovingly at Adam, not at all bothered with his precarious position.

I marched down the hall to my room and into my ridiculously huge closet to choose a comfy outfit, and glanced over at the black clothes bag that contained my dress for the gala. I unzipped it and was met with the breathtaking beauty of the strapless black and gold dress. Made of tulle and fine stitching with a satin ribbon around the waist, it was simple but very unique and elegant at the same time.

In a box behind it were the matching black stilettos with intricate gold embroidery. I couldn’t wait to wear the entire outfit, which was complete with gold elbow height gloves and what was essentially a long black cape I would wear with it. I ran my fingers over the fur lined edges, images of that night running through my head. Now that I had the final piece Adam could chose his outfit (I’d given him free rein over his choice because I trusted him, so long as he matched me.)

For the day however, I chose some comfy lounge pants and hunted through a box until I found an old gray, and bedazzled Queen Rock t-shirt, one that Adam had worn years ago. I slipped it on and smiled at the faint scent of him that still lingered on it, and how it was much too big for me.

Perfect.

I sighed in content, but the feeling disappeared when I was met with my mountain of work.  No point in putting it off.