In My Veins

"Oh, you're in my veins

And I cannot get you out

Oh, you're all I taste

At night inside of my mouth

Oh, you run away, 'cause I am not what you found

Oh, you're in my veins

And I cannot get you out..."

In My Veins- Andrew Belle

PART TWO

ADAM

One Month Later

Ireland disappeared beneath me and Australia loomed ahead. I was still sore from my accident, but I couldn't sit around another day. I just packed up everything and left. Was I running away? Maybe. But I preferred to see it as running towards something better. I hoped Jasper would understand...

I was changing my life for the better, I knew this. I had informed my mom and my brother about where I would be going, but told them to keep it private. I was going under the radar even more than before; no status updates, no phone. I left the record company after making my final decision, though they pleaded with me to come back I declined.

So here I was now; non-affiliated and a free agent with the world at my feet, no one and nothing to stop me.

Until I ran out of money, I suppose. But that was a long ways off.

As the plane made its final descent and my ears popped uncomfortably, my mind drifted back to flight to Vegas Nix and I had gone on, how she had been so tired and fell asleep so peacefully... A choking pressure that had nothing to do with the elevation change took a vice like grip around my chest and throat, and I was happy for the distraction the captain's voice brought over the intercom, telling us the weather and exact arrival time.

My vacation rental was small, but I didn't care. I was beat, and the full sized bed was calling my name, so I stripped to my boxers and crashed against the cool pillows and soft sheets, falling into a dreamless sleep within moments.

The next morning, I woke up naturally, with the airy sing-song trills of the birds outside and the sunlight stirring me. It was humid as hell inside the house, so I pulled my lead-weight body out of the bed to adjust the temperature on the wall. First things first; a nice, cool shower and then breakfast. After that I wanted to buy a cheap throw-away phone so I wasn't totally in the dark, but nobody would have my number. It made me feel sneaky and clandestine, like I was Jason Bourne trying not to be tracked down or something.

After the shower and a cafe breakfast, I found my way to a phone kiosk and purchased the cell phone, starting it up with no troubles. I entered the numbers for only three people; Mom, Neil, and Tommy. I stood in the middle of the courtyard I had wandered into and swung my arms, staring around. What do normal people do? God, that sounded pretentious, but it had been years since I'd done anything remotely un-work related. Free time was a luxury and the stress and anxiety of writing new music was always looming over me, so now that that was no longer an issue, what do I do?

Everyone had day to day jobs, family, kids, boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands,wives reunions, vacations, deadlines, whereas I had...nothing.

I snapped myself out of my funk and took off towards the busier end of the street I was on, deciding to scout out some decent clubs to check out later on. Maybe that's what I'll do. Go back to my roots, in a way. Perform at clubs. Money would eventually be an issue to work out, but right now without something to occupy my mind I would go crazy.