Two Can Play At This Game

NIX

You were once all I needed. More than the sunlight, more than the air, more than my own, broken, half beating heart.

Because without you, I was always in the dark, always suffocating, always falling apart, and always only half-alive.

Flashback

*Possible trigger*

“You say you don’t drink but you’re on your, what, fifth already?” Adam asked, leaning against the bar. I looked into the amber liquid of my half empty solo cup.

“Yeah, guess so.” I mused.

“Are you okay?”  He asked, eyebrows knit together.

I shrugged and swirled my drink, letting my gaze stare at the dartboard across the room. Someone had arranged the darts into a smiley face. “School is rough.” I answered flatly.

Adam nodded. “I’m sorry, babe. But you’ve made it through once already before, right? You can do it again.”

“I just don’t feel like anyone is helping me, you know? Like, I’m the only one taking things seriously.”

“Well, it’s college. They’re kids there on Mom and Dad’s dime and they want to drink and party and hook-up. You’re actually there for the education. But who knows,” He shrugged his leather-clad shoulders. “Maybe if you take the time to get to know them and hang out with them that could change.”

I downed my drink and pulled a face at the heat the vodka created. The room was spinning a little so I shut my eyes momentarily. “I have no idea how to socialize with them. We don’t have anything in common, and half the time the only reason they want to talk to me is because they know I’m dating you.”

Adam pulled me into him and kissed my temple. “Well then, baby, maybe you should just run with it. Who knows?”

I leaned into his hug and enjoyed the closeness. We were at a St. Patrick’s Day party at a friend’s house, and honestly; it was pretty fun. It wasn’t a bar, it wasn’t some fancy club with paparazzi waiting outside. It was just a group of about twenty people drinking half-priced booze and playing Cards Against Humanity and beer pong. Just like during every St. Patrick’s party we’d had back east, I had sneaked over to the TV and put on some Dropkick Murphys on Pandora, and now the bagpipes and distortion guitars filled the room, mingling with the drunken laughter and swearing.

“Mm, you know, your green shirt really brings out your hair...and your eyes.” Adam said, brushing back a few strands that had escaped from my bun.

“It would bring out the red in your hair too, if you let it.” I teased.

“I thought you liked my hair this color!” He pretends to be affronted, touching his pewter gray hair.

“I do, but you’re a little young to be going gray, aren’t you?”

“I think I already am. You’re aging me, pretty girl.”

“Oh, I am, am I?” I narrowed my eyes playfully, then took his cup. “You’re not drinking green beer!” I exclaimed. “Where’s the food dye?”

I went behind the homemade bar and hunted around for the tiny bottle. It was almost empty but I managed to find another one.

Adam slid into the barstool across from me, elbows resting on the glossy wood.

“What will it be, hot stuff?” I asked, jutting out my hip and taking on a flirty tone. Adam looked at the drink choice on the chalkboard behind me.