Decisions

PARTTHREE

It was like learning about Adam all over again. He'd changed over our time apart, which was to be expected. He could only stay awake for about 30 minutes before the pain made him too dizzy and he had to sleep again.

Neil, Elise, and even Eber showed up over the next two days to check in on Adam, giving me a rare few moments to eat and grab some sleep. Pongo stayed at the hotel with Leila for the most part nowadays.

But now I was faced with a difficult choice: I had to go back to London. My whole life was there. My house, my job, my friends. Sterling...

As much as I wanted to, I couldn't ditch the entire life I'd started there for this second chance that may or may not work out for the best. I'd worked too damn hard. So I was catching a plane in 36 hours on my way back to London but would be back on the weekends. It would be stressful but honestly, a part of me was worried that Adam would skip on me while I was gone.

I was standing at the coffee maker in the lobby area, stirring the dark liquid when Leila walked up beside me, giving a tired smile.

"How are you doing, sweetie?" She asked, grabbing a cup.

I shrugged. "I'm okay. I'm...still stunned, I think."

She patted my back. "We all are."

"I heard they're going to start him on physical therapy later this week?"

"Yeah...he needs to start working on keeping his muscles from atrophying. They're still a bit worried about his vertigo, though. He can hardly roll over without feeling sick."

I nodded thoughtfully. "God. I hope he recovers soon. What...what if he doesn't?"

Leila paled. "I've tried not to think too much about it. Performing is his life, he's never been able to go without it."

"Jumping around and dancing..." I recalled fondly. "He's gotta pull through it, Leila."

She gave me a hug. "I'm sure he will, honey. With you here to help him I think he could do anything."

"I'm sorry I have to leave." I said to Adam, sitting cross-legged on his bed, facing him with Pongo curled up on my lap.

He was propped up, looking a bit better than he had in the past few days. He'd managed to keep down some food finally.

"I get it. You have to do what you need to. I'm so proud what you've accomplished so far, Nix. It's amazing."

I blushed at his praise. "It's not really the best...I could do better."

"Maybe so. And then you'll be the best designer in the world."

I scoffed but said no more, absently scratching Pongo's velvety ears.

The dog hardly looked away from Adam when he was around.

"How do you feel about the physical therapy starting?" I asked Adam.

He gave a feeble shrug of the shoulder. "If they think it'll work..."

"They have faith." I said, hoping my doubt didn't shine through. The last thing Adam needed right now was someone else to be uncertain about his future.

"I have to sell the house." He said, watching Pongo twitch in his sleep.

"What?"

"It's a mess. Besides, when this is all over I want a new start. Leave California behind."