Follow My Lead

"I hear a second voice behind your tongue somehow."

~Lovely, Twenty One Pilots

Three days later

"Um, are you sending that out?" I asked Connelly, pointing at his sketch.

"Why?"

"It's not going to get very far. Like past the trash can."

Connelly, one of our newer interns, narrowed his eyes and huffed. "Well if you're the expert then you fix it."

He handed me the sketchbook and I took it. "I'm not gonna fix it, that would mean doing your job for you. I will, however, give you some tips and then you can change it yourself." I grabbed a pencil and looked over his detailed drawing of a ladies vibrant pantsuit. "If you're planning on this selling big anywhere outside of London then you need to make it look that way. This could be huge in Italy for example, but not if you're going to use second rate fabrics." I made a note to the side. "Consider it with a hat." I sketched a wide brimmed hat in the corners, adding suggested colors and sizes. "And if you use a collar that huge you could never pair it with a jacket, and this is a winter suit. Fix that, and keep in mind a jacket style. Maybe go for a Peter Pan collar instead." I gave him back the paper and he nodded.

"Get to it before this afternoon's meeting you'll be laughed out of the room. And where the hell is Nadia? Adelaide?"

Adelaide rushed from her desk, pencil behind her ear.

"Yes?"

"Where's Nadia? She has the itinerary for Australia and I absolutely need to have within the hour. I also need to meet with our models one last time because there's been a change."

"You know you can't make any outfits changes this close to a show."

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. "I know, but one model got sick and lost even more weight so she has to have the waist taken in, and we're adding a belt. It has to happen so make it work. The guy with the weird hair, what's his name...Julio, he needs to have heeled shoes, he's too short and it'll look weird in the final lineup. I understand we aren't supposed to do this stuff but we have to."

Adelaide nodded and started writing everything down, hurrying back to her desk while I returned to my office and shut the door.

I exhaled and rested my palms on my desk, surveying the chaos that littered every inch of the white wood. This had to be cleaned up...

Before I could move more than a few papers however, my cell buzzed with a text from Sterling. He had texted me the afternoon after the party and we'd been talking ever since.

Hey there...how's work?

A smile touched my lips. Crazy. Can't wait for this trip to be over...these interns have no idea what they're doing!

I'm sorry :/ but, they're learning from the best!

Oh boy, I wouldn't say that :)

It's true. Now, I wanted to ask if you would like to get a drink tonight?

I glanced out at Adelaide, hard at work and phone cradled between her ear and shoulder, scribbling notes in a blur, thought about the mountain that work I still had to do...and then thought about Sterling.

That sounds perfect. Where should I meet you?

Oh no, I'll pick you up. When do you get off?