Runnin' From Her Heart

TOMMY

Stay away from her, or be there to comfort her? I drummed my fingers on my guitar, completely unaware of my surroundings until I heard my name being called.

“Tommy? Dude, c’mon you need to focus.”

I looked up at Derek, the singer, who was glaring at me.

“Yeah. Sorry, man.”

“You haven’t been paying attention for like two days. What the hell is up?”

I sighed and shifted my feet. “Nothing. Just….nothing.”

“Is this about a girl? Or a...guy?”He asked awkwardly.

“No.” I replied sharply. “I’ll get it together. Let’s just get this over with.”

We continued with our rehearsal, but I repeatedly messed up, earning death stares from the other members. I ended up facing mostly away from them and wandering around in a circle, never even bothering to look up until it was time to leave. All that came from my lips was a muttered farewell, and I left the room before Derek could grill me some more.

I actually turned off the radio when I got in the car; something I rarely did. It was just one of those days where all that was needed was silence. Yes, Derek had been right, but honestly, I’m not a very hard-to-read person, if you know me well enough.

Nix was graduating in like two weeks and then would be off. And I knew she would never come back. But somehow, in the back of my mind I felt that she really needed to stay, and I had to come up with a way to keep her here. She belonged with Adam and he would never be the same without her. Maybe it was me being selfish and putting what I thought was best for Adam above what would be good for Nix. And the truth was… I didn’t want Nix to leave. I wanted her to stay here. But...did that mean I had feelings for her? No. That would never happen. And now definitely was not the time to trick myself into thinking that I did. Nix was my friend-one of my closest-of course I would be upset over her leaving. Platonically.

When I got home, I stood in the middle of the room until Etta came racing up to me. I gave her a hug and let her outside to hunt around.

 This gave me too much time to sit and stare at my phone, thoughts whirring dangerously.

“Come on, Tommy,” I said aloud. “You knew you were going to do this anyway, might as well get it over with.”

I grabbed my phone and shot Nix a text, simple and implying nothing.

Hey, how’s it going?

Within a stunning short amount of time she replied.

Putting the finishing touches on my final project. You?

How’s that going? And have you heard from any of the companies you applied to?

I’m ready for it to be over, that’s for sure! I haven’t, but it’s only been a couple of days and I’m sure I’m only one out of hundreds, possibly thousands.

Fingers crossed!

Goddamnit. Such a random conversation that wasn’t at all going the way I wanted it too. Because my mind wouldn’t make itself up as to whether or not I should do what I was thinking of. Eh, fuck it.

So hey, I was wondering if you could meet up sometime when you’re not too busy?
TOMMY’S POV

Stay away from her, or be there to comfort her? I drummed my fingers on my guitar, completely unaware of my surroundings until I heard my name being called.