Media Blitz

Flashback

Adam

"How bad is it gonna be, honestly? Nobody knows your exact return date, you're using a different airport than usual, it hasn't been publicized..." Nix's soothing voice crooned over the phone line. My leg was bouncing and my heart was starting to pick up. I'd called Nix the moment the plane landed but not even her calming tones and reassurances could keep my nerves still.

"Aren't you used to this by now?" She asked.

"I don't think you can ever really "get used" to it. It's so...unnatural and weird."

"I'm sorry, Addy." She sighed. "I can't imagine what that's like."

"Well, you're about to."

The stewardess' voice came over the speakers and my stomach churned again, my palms getting sweaty.

"Listen, I'll see you in like ten minutes, alright? All you gotta do is walk out of the gate and I'll meet you there."

"I know, I know," I said, my voice going higher as I stood to get my carry-on.

"Adam, take deep breaths, okay? Whatever happens, happens. The point is we get to see each other and we're gonna have a great time."

I shut my eyes for a moment and took a few deep breaths, mentally focusing on easing the tight ball of anxiety in my gut.

I exited the plan while Nix talked about all the places she wanted to go and things she wanted to see and for the briefest moment I relaxed and even smiled, until I stepped out of the sky-walk and was felt the tension of a storm bursting as an explosion of people called my name.

"Adam, how was your trip?"

"Adam, over here!"

"Nix!" I hissed, mouth dry.

"Sh, sh, sh, it's alright. They're just people. Come on, just meet me at baggage, okay? I'm waiting. Ignore them."

I clutched the phone with white knuckles and hitched my bag up further on my shoulder, ducking my head and trying to hide my face with my elbow.

Camera flashes blinded me even through my sunglasses and I cursed.

"I got your bag for you so we can leave that much quicker." Nix said to me, still sounding cool and collected.

A man with a camera stepped directly in front of me and I nearly dropped my phone.

"Christ! Excuse me, man." I stuttered, side stepping him in a rush.

He snapped a picture and I scowled.

"How was London? How are you adjusting to life after Idol?" The paparazzi half shouted at me.

I bit my tongue and kept walking, zeroing in on Nix's voice.

"Aw, come on, man, don't cover up that beautiful face!" Someone else yelled. Their shoes hitting the bright tile, intense flashes, and relentless manner made my blood boil.

"Ignore them." Nix repeated.

My shoulder collided with a guy in a hat and he tumbled back, nearly falling, but I kept walking.

I searched around for the telltale sign of Nix's red hair, and spotted her with my two suitcases beside her. I sighed in relief and ducked under a roped off section to reach her quicker, leaving the paps in my wake.

"I see you." I said. We hung up and I half ran to her side, scooping her up in a big hug and hiding my face in her shoulder. She laughed, struggling to reach me with her arms around my neck.

"I've missed you." She said.

"Missed you too."I replied.

"Adam, is that your girlfriend?!"

"Miss, what's your name?"

Nix stiffened and released me from our embrace, tucking her hair behind her ear and casting me a sheepish smile. I grabbed the handle of a suitcase and she got the smaller one and we made our way towards the nearest escalator, all the while the hordes of camera toting jerks were on our heels, shouting at me to say anything.

We kept our backs to them and I carefully blocked Nix from their direct line of sight while we made the agonizingly slow trip down to the main floor.

"See what I was talking about?" I groaned. God, by the look on her face I would be lucky if she wanted to stay friends with me after this.

Nix shook her head. "Can you blame them? You're the hottest thing in music right now. And to some you're just the "hottest thing" period." She chuckled.

"Doesn't this bother you?" I asked, casting a glance over my shoulder while pretending to adjust my beanie.

She shrugged. "It's strange, but it's not like they're after me so I don't really give two fucks."

"They are a little bit. Anyone seen with me will be big news. Especially if it's a pretty girl." Fuck, did I just say that?! Nice going, Adam.

Nix blushed and rolled her eyes. "I'm not sure who you're talking about, but okay."

I winked just as a flash went off, catching my action.

The two of us skirted through the crowds of people to the cab waiting outside and to no surprise, the paps didn't relent. I took my bag from Nix and opened the side door for her, placing my hand on her back and once more blocking the cameras from her.

I took my bags and tossed them in the trunk, cursing when I dropped my backpack.

"Adam, who's the girl?"

It was the same guy I'd bumped into earlier. I grit my teeth and forced a smile. "She's my friend."

"There's a rumor that you were seen with a woman while in London, too. Is that true?"

"Why do you care about the rumors so much? If it's true, it's true, if it isn't, just let it go."

"Is there something going on with you two?"

I managed to cram my bag into the trunk and scoot past the paparazzi and get into the back, slamming the door shut.

Nix bumped her shoulder against mine. "You okay?"

I swallowed back the tears of anxiety that teased once again at my eyes and just blinked hard. "Yeah, of course. I knew this was part of the gig when I decided to get into this industry, so I guess I shouldn't complain so much."

She smiled sadly. "Well, enough of that. How was your trip?"

A smile tugged at my lips. "It was great. It brought some...unexpected excitement ."

"Judging by that grin is it safe to say you met someone?"

"Maybe." For some reason, I didn't want to tell Nix about Lauren. In fact, I didn't want to tell anyone about Lauren, and knowing that our rendezvous hadn't gone unnoticed didn't make me feel much better about the entire thing.

"Well, I can't wait to use those tickets to Disney Land. And you are going on sooo many rides with me, whether you like it or not, Lambert."

I laughed and nodded. "I'm so ready."

(Well, I gave myself the feels. How 'bout y'all?

Hope you all enjoyed this pre-Aix platonic-fluff :P

As always I will see you in the next chapter!

~CG)