I Promise

Adam's POV

"The answer is yes, always yes. I cannot deny you anything you ask. I will not let you bear the agony of not knowing.

Yes I love you, I swear it. On every grain of salt in the ocean-on all my tears. I found you when I reached the seventh sea, just as I had stopped looking.

It seems a lifetime ago that I began searching for you.

A lifetime of pain and sorrow. Of disappointment and missed opportunities. 

All I had hoped for. All the things I can never get back.

When I am with you, I want for nothing."

The Seventh Sea__ Lang Leav (Lullabies)

I woke up from my foggy haze of a dream to a darkened room. It was cold and instantly I started shivering at the same moment my body was wracked with pain.

I gritted my teeth and fumbled around until I felt the 'call nurse' button and pressed it repeatedly, groaning in pain.

"Adam? Are you alright? Tell me what's happening."

I was breathless in agony and wanted to curl in on myself but my body wouldn't move.

"What?" I seethed, tears in my eyes. "I-I can't m-m-move."

I opened my eyes to see two nurses bustling around me, injecting something into my IV line and it rushed into my veins.

"Don't put me to sleep," I said. "Answer me, what can't I move? Where am I?!"

"Give it a minute, Adam." One of them said, resting a hand on my shoulder.

The morphine hit me and instantly my brain went cloudy and I felt like I was floating.

"That's better. Adam, you were in a car accident and there's been extensive damage. The reason you can't move very much is because you bruised your spine and neck, causing temporary full body paralysis."

"How do you know it's temporary?" I asked, the shock of her words unable to properly set into my mind.

"You can move your arms and head and in your sleep a few times you moved your leg or rolled over a bit. You'll need physical therapy for a while, but a full recovery is expected. We've talked more to your mother and girlfriend about this, so there's no need to worry about it right now."

"What?" I gaped at her. "My girlfriend?"

She looked at me with confusion. "The redhead, Adam. She came in early yesterday morning and stayed here all day and night...we only got her to get some rest a little while ago."

"S-she was here?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Do you not remember?"

"I dreamt about her but...of course that wouldn't be real, she hates me now."

The nurse gave me a kind smile. "Honey, it's very much real. You didn't dream it, you were just very drowsy. Do you want me to go get her?"

I tried to shake my head but couldn't. "Um, no. Let her sleep. She'll come back when she's ready."

My head was swimming and I couldn't figure out which news to attempt to digest first. I was paralyzed. However temporary they claimed it was, as of this moment, I was paralyzed.