Kiss Me Like a Man

2 MONTHS LATER
New York City

Adam came up from behind me and kissed my neck, holding his arms tight around my waist and humming.

“Hey, beautiful.” He said with a sigh of content.

I absently kissed him on the cheek, flipping through my pages and pages of paperwork I needed to sign.

“Need some wine?”

“That would be great, babe. Thanks.”

Adam moved away to pour me a glass. “Is the end in sight?”

I exhaled, signed my name for the millionth time, and shook my head. “Not even close. I have hours left.”

“You worked for like 5 hours last night, though.”

“I know, Adam! But the winter rush is here and we’re back ordered. I have 6 custom orders already. These people set up their orders months ago just for this one gala at Christmas.” I took a sip of my wine, wishing to God it was whiskey, gathered up my papers and went to the desk in the corner near the window. I took a brief look outside at the fast falling snow and the city lights beyond, feeling a tug of guilt that I wasn’t able to spend more time with Adam. Ever since moving to New York my workload had piled up.

He stared down into his own glass, one hand in his pocket. “I get it.”

“Baby, I promise it’ll slow down soon.”

“Before Christmas? I have things planned.”

I gave him a sheepish smile. “Hopefully by then, yeah. For sure after Paris. What outlandish things do you have set for us to do?”

He winked. “Not telling.”

My cell buzzed with an email notification and I groaned. “Great. I have a ballgown that now needs to be shipped from Milan to Paris, not Tuscany to London.” I ran my hands through my hair and tried not to cry in frustration.

“Sometimes I wonder if I can do this job, Adam.”

“Of course you can, sweetie. They wouldn’t have hired you if you couldn’t. You’re perfectly capable. Is there anything I can do to help?”

I sighed. “I guess not. Just get some sleep, alright? There’s no need for you to stay up so late.”

“That’s my job, Firework.”

“But you have a lot to do this week and you don’t need to be tired. The dogs have their playgroup thing tomorrow, right?”

Adam nodded. “At noon. Then I have to go into the studio.”

“OK.” I bit my lip. “I won’t be able to pick them up though, I’m going into the office at 8 and will be there all day.”

“I thought you had Friday’s off?”

“Not this month. And probably not much of next month either.”

“Tell me you’re at least getting an invite to this party thing.”

I smiled and put my arms around his neck. “Yep. And so are you, handsome. Be my date?”

“Only if we get to make out in the limo.”

“Deal.” I giggled.

Adam kissed me deeply, hands firm on my hips and then moving to my neck.

“Mmm, baby, not tonight. I have too much to do.”

 He sighed in mild annoyance but dropped his hands. “Alright. You need to sleep at some point tonight though, ookay?”

“I’ll try. ‘Night.”