The Rising Tide

4 weeks Later

My day off came just in time. Luckily, Oliver was still working so I didn't have to deal with him.

I was so restless now...it had been years since I'd stayed put in one place for so long. I grabbed my laptop and went online, watching YouTube videos for awhile until that too got boring. My mind wandered back to L.A, to my house. My lawyer had contacted me a while ago about the fact I'd have to do something about it soon. My cars were there still, everything I owned was just sitting there. So I had to get my shit together and take care of it. If I was serious about ending my Hollywood career I needed to sell the house.

A twinge of melancholy nipped at my at the thought. That place was so special to me, but it was filled with ghosts now. I wasn't sure if I could go back there and ever see it the same way again.

I snagged my cheap little phone and dialed the number by memory.

"Graham? It's Adam. About the house..."

My anxiety came back full force by the time I got to the airport.

After a less than emotional farewell to Oliver, I'd entered the airport with a ticket to LAX in my hand.

Oliver acted like we'd never see each other again, and as much as I wished that were true, I would only be gone for about a week, two tops.

Two hours later and I was boarding coach for the first time in a while. I'd kept my head down enough through the airport that I didn't think anybody saw me.

My hair was freshly dyed dark blond, and I'd grown it so long that it covered my eyes nicely. Dressed simply and hoping I didn't stand out.

I managed to sleep for the most part on the flight and then again on my connecting flight.

The sun was rising again when I landed at Los Angeles. Bustling as always, and I walked as close to the walls as I could, hurrying along the paths I'd trod many, many times over the years.

I had ordered a cab and remembered a time, years ago, meeting a young Nix at baggage claim and giving her a spine-crushing hug as if she were my lifeline in this sea of impostors. Had I only known how important she'd end up being in my life...

Nothing could have prepared me for what laid ahead for us.

"Oh my God, is that Adam?!"

Shit. I casually glanced to my left and saw a couple of teenage girls gaping at me. They began speed-walking towards me, jaws dropped. I huffed but stopped, preparing for the onslaught.

"Adam?" The blonde girl asked with a noticeable British accent.

I smiled politely. "Hey there."

"Oh sweet Jesus." The darker haired one gasped, covering her mouth.

"Chloe, it's him. Like, actually him."

Chloe bounced forward, hunting for her phone. "Oh my God hi. We love you so much. Can we take a picture?"

"I look horrible, but sure." I laughed.

"No way do you look horrible. That's impossible." The girl with dark hair said. I bent down a little and put my arms around them, causing them to giggle. We snapped a few pictures each and then I signed a few things for them.

"What's your name?" I asked Chloe's friend.

"T-Tali," she said, wide-eyed.

"That's a great name."

"Thanks, it was a birthday present." She blushed as if she couldn't believe what she had just said, but I gave a genuine laugh.

"Um, could you sign this for our other friend? We're actually on our way to see her."

"Sure." I signed the back of a ticket stub for them.

"Where have you been? You, like, dropped off the earth for months. " Chloe asked boldly, watching my every move with tears in her eyes.

"Um...on sabbatical."

"Are you coming back for good?" Tali asked.

I ruffled her hair. "I dunno. But I gotta go, guys. It was great to meet you girls. Tell your friend I said hi."

"We love you!" They chorused as I walked away. I looked over my shoulder and blew them a kiss, making them swoon.

The cab took off behind me, leaving me outside of the gate to my house. I felt like a trespasser.

It was strangely chilly that day and the sun was hidden behind the clouds, the breeze held a cold undercurrent to it.

I hitched my bag higher up on my shoulder and typed the password onto the pad.

The gate screeched open and I walked up the driveway. It looked...so empty. It mimicked how I felt.

I hunted around in my pockets found the garage door opener; I didn't even want to go inside the house.

Besides, I had an appointment in the city with my lawyer.

I trailed my fingers along the dusty hood of my Bentley and unlocked it.

"I missed you." I sighed, revving the engine and taking off onto the streets.

(OH SHIIIT HE'S BACK. *panics*

 What do you guys think??

 AHHOEWITJEWLCP! 

Okay, I'm off to start work on the NEXT chapter!!

~CG)