I Like You. Who Doesn't?

Nico X Gender-fluid OC

The sex education teacher divided the eighth grade students up.

"Females on the right, males on the left." she said. They obeyed orders, but one person was left out.

They had shaggy, dirty blond hair, cut to be only an inch or two long. They wore a thin purple hoodie and black jeans. They had navy blue eyes and white converse on.

The teacher approached the student, clearly unsure of their gender. "Are you moving to a side?"

The student shrugged, "You gonna give me one?"

The teacher was automatically confused. "I said boys on left, girls on right."

"Interesting," the student said. "So where's my side?"

"Pardon? I don't understand. What is your name?"

"I'm Angel."

"Angel, are you a boy or a girl?"

"Gender-fluid."

The teacher jumped back with a gasp, startling the student. The teacher had a disgusted look on her face.

"Y-you're what? You're lying, you little brat! Stop wasting precious class time!"

Someone where the boys stood coughed. "She isn't lying. You're just too stupid and close-minded to realize it. I'm taking the pass and going to the office, I refuse to be in class with a substitute like you. Angel, you coming?"

He had dark hair and dark eyes, a gorgeous skintone and wore all black. He reached for the pass with strong arms. Angel was wavered, but nodded. She felt her eyes stinging as the teacher's stared in denial at her. She isn't used to that; she'd only come out a little bit ago.

She followed the stranger down the hall and to the office, where they sat and waited for class to end.

"What's your name?" Angel asked the boy. He looked at her.

"I'm Nico." he held out his hand.

"Thanks back there. That was brave."

"Confidence is key."

"You sound like Coach."

"It's not a bad thing, is it?"

"Definitely not."

Angel smiled at him and he smirked at her.

"Your pronouns today, she/her, right?" He felt bad for asking, but she nodded.

"Sorry."

"Don't be, it's appreciated."

They sat in awkward silence for a minute.

"So." Angel began.

Nico looked to her, but didn't say anything.

"How come I don't know you?"

"Probably because I avoid you."

She felt a pinge of hurt in her heart.

"Avoid me? Why?" Is he just like all the rest? was her immediate thought--foolish when she thinks about it.

"Because I like you." he shrugged.

Because I like you. Angel hadn't of heard of such words in a long, long time--from a peer, anyway.

"Y-you do?" she stuttered.

Nico nodded with a sheepish smile, "Who doesn't?"

Angel smiled, her teeth showing. "That's sweet."

Nico scowled, but Angel knew he wasn't upset. "Don't get used to it."

Adorable. she thought.

"Anyways, class is about over. I've got to go. Catch you later, Angel." he stood. She stood too.

"Wait, Nico." she stopped him.

She grabbed both his arms and kissed him quickly, "Thanks again." Her cheeks got red, and she exited the office first.

Because I like you. he had said. Who doesn't?

HAS BEEN EDITED, COMMENT ANY MISTAKES KINDLY.