✗ seventy-four ✗

SHAY

"This is happening. This is actually happening."

"We're going to be parents."

I gulp at Harry's words, watching the room around us. Chaos surrounds us, but we're in our own little bubble. A nurse or two will occasionally enter the bubble to ask me a question or position me in a certain way, but other than that we're left alone, allowing for the idea of us becoming parents to start sinking in.

"I'm so excited, but I'm so scared as well. Oddly enough the combination hasn't got me freaking out. Why aren't I freaking out?" I wonder, licking my dry lips as I feel a bit of dread arise somewhere within me.

"Because I think I'm freaking out for the both of us." Harry's words only make me more nervous.

"What?"

"Don't worry I'm not going to do anything drastic. I'm so bloody excited that I might pass out, or cry, or both. But I'm also scared. I'm just overwhelmed with emotions." What he says is understandable and I'm feeling the same way. His green eyes are shining brightly though; I would never have known he were scared if he didn't tell me.

I know he'd never leave or freak out to the point of abandoning us. We're in too deep at this point.

"I'm overwhelmed too." I admit, lifting my chin and motioning for Harry to give me a kiss. He complies without a word, pecking our lips together in hopes that the action will calm us both.

"Listen, should I go? I feel like I should go."

Louis once again appears from nowhere and I feel bad that I've forgotten he was here, yet again. I guess he's just been standing off to the side throughout all this chaos, watching everyone do their work and most likely checking out Dr. Surrey as she prepares at the edge of the room.

"Yeah, mate, but you -"

"No." I find myself blurting. Both men snap their heads in my direction. "No, you don't have to leave. You can stay, Louis. You're Harry's best mate, and one of mine. I don't want you to go if you don't want to."

I've been so adamant on it just being Harry and I in this intimate moment. I flat out told Harry no one would be in the room aside from the doctors and I, for privacy reasons mainly. I'm not one to want to flaunt my goods around, even if it is for a good cause. But in this moment, I realize that I was being too uptight and, probably because of my nerves, the more the merrier.

"Really?"

"Moxy will kill me that you get to be here and she doesn't, but as long as you don't peek or anything; I would love for you to stay." I assure the man who looks shocked that I've even offered.

"If I'm honest," Louis lowers his voice as he eyes Dr. Surrey from the corner of his eyes, "I'd much rather peek at your doctor. Seriously," he mutters, gazing at her as she speaks with some nurses, "where did you find this woman? Heaven? She's right fit." 

I'm happy for the man for finding someone he's genuinely interested in, but I find myself straining to sit up a bit so I can be somewhat closer to the man. Now's not exactly the time to find love.

"Get in the way of her job and you'll be gone. Got it?" I say sternly with a glare. Louis quickly nods his head erratically, taking a step back and behind Harry.

"Understand."

With one final look in Louis' direction, my attention is brought to the young doctor at the end of my bed. Her once loose hair is now tied into a tight ponytail and she wears a cap the same colour as her scrubs.