✗ thirty-eight ✗

SHAY

SHAY

"Shay!" He hisses, chasing after me down the hallway of the hospital corridor.

After the ultrasound and a very embarrassing moment where I was stabbed in the arm to get a sample of some of my precious blood with tears streaming down my cheeks, I ran out of the examination room, leaving Harry behind in a cloud of dust.

"Shay, stop walking so fast." He hisses again, hoping not to gain too much attention to the both of us rushing down the hall in a crowded hospital. I know he'll be pissed and I don't want to make a scene in the middle of the clinic. It can wait 'til we're in the car park.

The last time, and actually the first time, that Harry met my parents it did not go over well, at all. My mother ended up insulting me in front of a restaurant full of people and Harry ended up yelling at her like she deserved. I doubt that Harry's forgotten that key piece of the past, I sure as hell haven't. She pointed her manicured finger at Harry accusing him of raping me. I will never forgive her for that, but hopefully I can look past it.

"Shay! Stop!" Harry calls, raising his voice slightly now that we're standing outside the confines of the hospital. I sigh heavily, running my hand across my forehead as I stop right in the middle of the drive. "Well, not there." He mutters, leading me out of the way of potential traffic.

Taking a deep breath I gain the courage to turn around and look up at Harry. There's nothing but a bit of tiredness across his features where I thought there'd be anger. There's a long sigh that he releases as his hand reaches out and takes mine, his eyes trained on our joined hands. I stay silent, wanting him to be the first to speak. I want to know what he's thinking.

"I think we should just think this over." He breathes out, his thumb caressing the skin along my knuckles. "Before we do anything rash."

"I have to tell them Harry."

"I know, I just don't think it's the best idea." He admits, looking up at me through his thick eyelashes. I sigh looking anywhere other than his beautiful eyes. "I get that you want them to know, this baby is going to be their grandchild so they deserve to know." I nod my head, agreeing. "But, they've hurt you so much already Shay. I'm not letting them hurt you anymore."

"I appreciate you saying that." I say, taking a step towards him before I wrap my arms around his waist. I bury my face against his chest and exhale deeply. "But, I need to do this." Harry feels rigid under my touch, apprehensive at the idea I just know it. I hate making him feel like this, uncomfortable. "I can take their words, I've dealt with them since I was born. I'm not saying that they are going to be a part of this baby's life, but they should at least know that I'm with child. I expect them to scream, my mother to ridicule-"

"Then why are we going?" He wonders, sighing deeply as he rests his chin on the top of my head. His wraps encircle me and pull me even closer to his body. "You didn't see your face the last time you saw your mother. You didn't see the hurt, the betrayal, and every single emotion of pain running across your face, Shay. I did. I hate seeing you like that, it physically pains me."