✗ eight ✗

SHAY

7 May

7 May

With my breathing hitched and a cool sweat pooling at the brim of my hairline, I retreat from the comfortable confines of Harry's bed. A sneaky peek at the clock on his bedside table has me internally groaning. I have only fallen asleep a matter of two hours ago and here I am terrified and wide-awake at half two in the morning.

I shuffle into the bathroom, flipping on the blinding overhead light before traveling over to the sink and mirror. The reflection that stares back at me is nothing like I have remembered her to be.

There is no longer the light that has once filled her eyes and the joy that has once lived upon her face. Her eyes hold certain darkness and her expression is unbelievably sad. The fact alone is that she looks homeless and malnourished. Her normally fuller face is now sunken in like a skeleton and her skin tone, shades lighter than it has once been.

Stepping back from the mirror I turn on the faucet, splashing cold water onto my heated skin, the feeling washing away the sweat and uneasiness that the dream provided. The same damn dream, rather nightmare, which haunts me since that night has returned full force. The events leading up to the end where I thrash myself straight out of it and back into reality are the same.

That man that did this to me is there, his feature ever present and identical to his actual face, until near the end where his face starts to change, into someone he's not. There have been times where it's coworkers, even celebrities, but most recently it always ends with the same curly haired, green-eyed man that I used to spend every day of my life with.

I kill the water and dry my face with my towel before exiting the bathroom and standing dead center in the middle of the room. I'm not tired anymore, nor could I even think about closing my eyes after the nightmare. I never can get back to sleep after something so horrific. So instead of trying to go back to sleep like I should, I take the opportunity to take a walk through Harry's home. I've been in this house numerous times, but still have managed not to see almost every single inch of the house.

I creep down the stairs to the ground floor and then continue to go down lower into the depths of Harry's ginormous abode. Harry always insists on taking his personal lift from the basement to the ground floor, so I've never seen the level that's between the ground floor and the basement. I don't know whether it's to keep people out or to hide something there, but whatever it is I'm oddly curious in the early hours of the morning.

I take a quick look around to make sure no one is here before going to the first door before me. Pulling the single door open, the lights immediately flicker on to showcase a large wine cellar.

Back away from the alcohol Shay, we don't need another repeat of what happened only hours ago.

I shut the door backing away from it before turning to my right. Whatever is beyond the door, I'm just praying that it isn't a dead body or something like that. Who knows, Harry can have many skeletons in his closet, literally. When I pull it open I'm met with a hallway and two more doors.