✗ four ✗

SHAY

3 Days Later ~ 25 April

I had been released from the hospital this morning, after assuring the doctors that I was fine and that if I needed anything I would come back. The truth was, I'm never going to go back to the hospital. I was constantly being tested and checked up on by so many doctors I lost count. Then there was the whole psychologist visit on the second day, whom wanted to speak with me about my mental and emotional health. But I didn't want to visit with him, so I simply didn't talk.

I want nothing more than to go straight home and curl up on the couch, but instead I'm sitting in a cab outside my parents' home in Chelsea.

My parents are something else... rich, arrogant art lovers. Unfortunately, they love art more than they love their only child and they're the only family I have left. I rarely see them since my eighteenth birthday three and a half years ago when they told me not to go and get an education but instead stay at home and marry some rich bachelor. We were to marry and have several children all by the age of twenty-two. Since then we speak on very limited terms. But my mother insisted that I come see her after hearing I was in the hospital. She didn't ask questions, didn't visit me, just said I should stop by after I was released.

"Ma'am?" The driver of the cab is clearly growing impatient since I have yet to get out of the car, but I don't care. The more time I spent in here, the less time I would have to spend around them. But I know that if I don't get out now I never will.

"Thank you." I finally say, stepping out of the cab with my purse and small bag with a change of clothes.

I hadn't seen Harry since I told him to leave, which I felt a bit guilty about. I did think his gesture of being there for me was sweet, too sweet. But as you can imagine I was in no mood for visitors, especially male visitors. It's like that incident has changed my view on the male population. I know every man on this earth isn't bad, only a select few, but I'm still far too traumatized to pick out the good and bad. Harry did have somebody bring me a couple changes of clothes and a new phone since mine was MIA on the second day as well. There was also a note for me to call him once I was ready and to take as much time as needed.

It was a kind gesture for somebody I had told to sod off.

I walk slowly up to the front door of their ginormous home, which is bigger than Harry's home, and knock lightly on the front door. A cool breeze whips through my hair as I stand, huddling with my own body as I wait. My eyes scan the walk behind me, seeing no one in sight, a relieved sigh leaving my parted lips. This day can only get worse from here, especially since my parents are involved.

"Ah, Miss Nichols!" I jump at the sound of my parents' head maid's, Julie, voice. I don't understand the need for a maid, but apparently my parents see the need for six. "My, I haven't seen you in such a long time. You look well darling!" If only she knew. "Your hair is getting so long!" I wince when she brought her hands up to my face and take a discrete step back.