✗ forty-three ✗

SHAY

SHAY

12 August

She's wrapped up in a pink bundle, her small body wiggling about to get in a comfortable position in my arms. I hold her to my chest, hoping the warmth of my body will radiate to her smaller one. She's so little, fitting perfectly in the crook of my arm. Her eyes remain closed off to the world, soft coos leaving her tiny lips. She's got light hair, not a lot but just the perfect amount.

"My girl." I whisper, leaning down to press a kiss to her baby smooth forehead. "My beautiful baby girl."

As if on cue, her tiny eyelids flutter open at the sound of my voice. She blinks a couple times before her eyes meet mine and a gasp leaves my lips. The colour of her eyes; not grey like his, not blue/green like mine, instead the shade of perfect emerald.

A deep piercing green irises, like those from the man that I love so dearly. A green that makes the colour of grass look dull in even the most beautiful painting one can buy. They stare into my own eyes, bringing tears the brim.

"Love!" His sing-songing voice carries from outside the bedroom, a bedroom in which I've never stepped foot in.

The furniture is different, the placement of the things here is different, even the colour on the walls is different. This isn't our home. And at that moment I realize that the voice I once believed to be from the man I love was not coming from his tender mouth.

"Hello, dear." I clutch the no longer wiggling about child to my chest, taking a peek at her to notice her just staring up at me.

"Get out." I utter, voice deep and eyes set on his straggled face. "Get the hell out." I order, seeing his appearance in the doorway.

His clothes are tattered, his beard grown long. I can smell the stench of sweat, cigarette smoke, and filth from across the room. His beading eyes bore into my body, burning holes in the clothing that I wear. I turn my body, hoping to protect the small bundle of joy in my arms.

I won't let him hurt her.

"You can't shield her from me, bitch." I wince at the harsh tone his mouth produces and clutch tighter onto the baby so that she is safe. She is safe in my arms, but not his. I will protect her. "That's my little girl as luck would have it."

"It's not, she's not yours." I cry out, feeling the burning of tears brim my eyes.

"Oh, but she is." He spits, stepping into the room with heavy footsteps.

I shake my head, my body beginning to tremble, as he gets closer in distance. I won't let him have her; he cannot have her.

"No, get back!" I yell, looking around frantically for the one person that can save us. It's weird that I can feel his presence but I can't see him. "Harry!" I scream.