✗ fifty-seven ✗

SHAY

4 October

"Does the prosecution have any other witnesses?"

According to the time on my watch we've been in this courtroom for a little over an hour. Fawn has called the first officers on scene, the officers who arrested my attacker, the officer who took evidence off my person at the hospital, and finally Damian only a few short moments ago.

He told the jury and everyone else of his credentials as well as the evidence in which he used to find Mr. Morgan. He was very thorough, very professional, and a bit cocky. He gave the people what they want, the absolute truth. Mr. Schmidt had nothing to ask of him at the end of Fawn's questions. He did a great job on my behalf.

"We do Your Honor. The People call Doctor Amanda Barnes to the stand."

I watch as Doctor Barnes enters "the ring" and goes to the stand, getting sworn in before taking her seat where I had been a little over an hour ago. She glances to me before glancing to my attacker on the other side of the room.

"Please state your first and last name."

"Doctor Amanda Barnes."

"Please spell your last name for the records."

"B-A-R-N-E-S."

"Dr. Barnes," Fawn begins as she stands from her position beside me, "where exactly do you work?"

"Bupa Cromwell Hospital, located just north of Cromwell Road in Kensington."

"And how long have you been practicing at Bupa Cromwell Hospital?"

"A did my rotation at Bupa a little over nine years ago and was hired permanently at the end of my rotation around eight years ago."

"What is your title at the hospital?"

"I am one of the lead doctors in the emergency department."

Dr. Barnes is one of the most poised witnesses Fawn has called up today. She sits confidently and speaks clearly, acknowledging the entire courtroom, not just my lawyer who stands before her. She speaks to the jury at her side with a soft smile. Dr. Barnes also does not shy away from making eye contact with the men on the other side of the courtroom, sending them a stern look. I wonder if she's done this before.

"What was the condition of Ms. Nichols when she was brought in on the 22nd of April?"

"Ms. Nichols was in and out of consciousness, muttering cries for help when she was rolled into my care at around two forty-five in the morning. She had tachycardia, elevated heart rate, and her blood pressure had dropped tremendously. Ms. Nichols was in fact in shock when she came into my care. Shortly after her arrival, Ms. Nichols was taken to a private room after I had an assumption that she had been raped."

I have absolutely no recollection of any of this occurring. The last I remember from that morning was passing out in Harry's entryway and the next was being examined with the presence of officers in the room and then being questioned by said officers. I don't remember the ambulance ride or meeting Dr. Barnes in the emergency department.

"What gave you that assumption Dr. Barnes?"

"Whilst in the emergency department I discovered bleeding from the vaginal area and after removing the article of clothing covering the area I discovered lacerations and bruising of the upper vagina. There was also bruising and lacerations along her hips and upper thighs. At this point, I notified the correct authorities and stayed with Ms. Nichols until they arrived."

"At this time it was whom that arrived?"

"Officer Lynn Colfax."

"What tests were taken under your care that morning, Dr. Barnes?" Fawn asks as she takes a couple steps closer towards the doctor. Dr. Barnes licks her lips to moisten them before continuing, addressing everyone in the room.