✗ twenty-eight ✗

SHAY

"So, Shay tell us about your family. What do your parents do?"

Dinner had been quite pleasant thus far and very comforting up until now. We were dining on roast, cooked carrots, and potatoes. There had been one hiccup at the start, when Anne offered me wine and Harry nearly screamed at her. He ended up lying saying that I don't enjoy alcohol. But after that, we really did nothing more than enjoy the delicious food Anne prepared. Now we seemed to be rolling down the path of getting to know more about me. I wasn't sure if I wanted to share the true me with them.

"Oh," I glance at Harry to my right to see him with his fork next to his open mouth. He looks to me, reaching his other hand under the table to take mine and give it a reassuring squeeze. I take a deep breath and smile across the table at Anne, "Well my parents are art collectors." I simply say. There's no need to go into too much detail.

"Wow, that's very interesting. It must have been very educational growing up, being surrounded by art."

"They mostly kept their trading to themselves, but we did enjoy a lot of different art in our home. Some of the pieces that they bought inspired me to pursue an appreciation of art."

What am I saying?

"In what way?" Anne asks curiously.

I continue to smile over at her as I bring my water up to my lips to stall and buy some time before I need to answer.

"I quite enjoy going to art museums in my free time. I've been to The National Gallery, Tate Modern, UCL Art Museum, among others in the London area, including some private shows."

I guess the private art shows were something I cherished about my parents. They would often take me to them because they wanted to show me off to their other rich friends, and they thought I hated it. If they looked hard enough they probably could have figured out that I quite liked it.

"Some of my favorite pieces are so sophisticated and intricate that they make me want to pursue a type of artistic way of life. My favorite modern artists is Olga Rykova, she has amazing pieces that are just so colourful and full of expression and life."

Oh my God, shut up! You're just rambling nonsense now. I sigh and look around the table.

Gemma is eating quietly, whilst listening to my story on art. Robin and Anne, though, have finished their meals and are now strictly looking to me, wanting to hear my story. And I'm sat here, running out of things to say and wishing I could enjoy some of the delicious wine Gemma and Anne are sipping on. Harry clears his throat from beside me and picks his glass up as well.

"Do you have any siblings?" Robin adds in, interrupting his wife from asking any more art questions. I don't honestly think I could tell them anything else. I did gain an appreciation of art from my parents, but that's it.

"I'm an only child."

"Did you grow up in London?"

"Yes, I did. I spent most of my life in Chelsea."

"Nice neighborhood." Robin adds. I nod and dip my head low, not wanting to discuss money.

"Yes, well there are many art galleries and museums in the area. It's a lovely place to live if you want to surround yourself with it."

"Do you paint or sculpt?"

I'm taken aback by her questions. No one has ever asked that before. Usually once they here about my parents' jobs and my love for art they just assume that I take part in the business as well. Everyone assumes this because they think I have no artistic talent. But those fools didn't know the half of it.