✗ fifty-eight ✗

SHAY

22 November

Things had been quiet and I couldn't have been more thankful for it so. Part of me had dread the moments after leaving the courthouse, thinking that the verdict was just too easy. It was like a dream that I was most likely going to wake from.

But fortunately for me, I never woke up.

A couple weeks went by with some uproar in the media about Mr. Harry Styles in court with beloved girlfriend and assistant, Shay Nichols. The headlines were all bogus, everyone in the media thinking it was some custody dispute and that Harry and I were calling it quits. I was more than surprised and thankful when three weeks went by and nobody had spilled to the press about the real situation.

Things died down after about three weeks, I came out of "hiding", where Harry had wanted me to stay until everything quieted, and moved on with my life. I went out to eat with Gemma on some of her lunch breaks, I went food shopping at Waitrose by myself, and I even took up pregnancy yoga.

Harry stopped having me report at work, saying I would just stress myself out and that I should just relax in the quiet before the baby arrives. I was a little bummed at first, throwing a massive strop about it, but I'm "okay" with it now.

Today had been a different kind of day. I had woken up from an almost perfect sleep in the arms of my boyfriend. When I had looked in the mirror, I decided my face didn't look fat and that I looked genuinely beautiful, something I haven't felt in a long time. Everything about today up 'til now had been perfect, and I didn't want it to change.

Harry had called saying he forgot some paperwork at the house and was too busy to come by and pick it up. Of course I jumped on the offer to take it to him, missing work so damn much that I'd do about anything to step foot in the office again.

The streets outside Styles Inc. have been relatively calm now, only a couple paps waiting outside the door when I approach. I clutch my bag to my body and slither through them, ignoring the questions of our "break-up" and potential custody of our "son". In a way it's nice that they don't know the truth, our daughter can be ours for a little while longer.

"Ms. Nichols, what a surprise!" I turn my head to the front desk, seeing a familiar face residing in her normal seat. Her usual red lipstick now a light pink colour and her normally curly hair straightened down her back.

"Good afternoon Jade. How are you?" I question, slowing to chat but still continuing my way into the building with files on my arm.

"I'm lovely, you? You look amazing."

"Awe, I'm alright. Thanks."

"Have a good day." She hollers after me as I come up on the opening lift. I call over my shoulder to her as well before loading the lift and pressing the thirtieth floor button.

I don't make it all the way upstairs to the top floor without interruption. The lift stops at floor eighteen and as soon as I see the doors begin to move I pray that whomever is on the other side isn't a tall, brunette that has many occasions made out with my former intern.

Yes, Melissa is finally gone!

"Shay Nichols, what a bloody surprise!" Fuck.

"Cameron, good to see you." I say, stepping towards the side of the lift to give him some space. He enters the lift, looking at the number I've pressed before leaning against the back wall, looking me up and down.

"You really are pregnant!" I chuckle slightly and nod my head, resting my hand atop my growing stomach.

"Yep, I'm seven months as of yesterday, can't really lie about that."