✗ thirty-seven ✗

SHAY

SHAY

19 July

Crimson, sticky blood sticks to every inch of my skin, burning it like fire. Sweat trickles down my brow mixing with the blood and large salty tears that drip out of my eyes like water from a faucet. I feel like I'm leaking, that the blood, sweat, and tears are seeping out of me until nothing is left.

My heart pounds in my chest. The pressure crushes me from the inside out as I run as fast as my long legs can take me. The tight fabric of my dress constricts my legs so that my sprint is slower than possible and squeezes my body to the point where it's hard to breathe. I try to run faster, my bare feet scraping against the rocky pavement as my hands claw at the fabric, hoping it'd rip.

My throat burns as the tears cascade down my damp cheeks and screams leave my lips. The sticky red substance that covers the front part of my body releases an irony stench that burns my nostrils. I don't even know where the blood came from, it just appeared.

I can feel him getting closer. I can hear his sickly laughter and sing-song-y voice, growing louder and louder. His face flashes in front of my eyes, causing me to jump lightly as if he had actually jumped out in front of me.

I scream for him to stop, my bare feet bringing me to a halt as my hands cover my eyes from seeing him.

"Stop running." He growls from behind me, two arms encircling around my waist until I'm pulled against his filthy firm body. A vulgar shriek leaves my lips before I crumble to the ground, my knees bruising and splitting open upon the hard impact. My body claps against the floor like a sack of flour as choked sobs leave my mouth. "Shut up!" He booms, causing me to curl up into a ball as his arms flip me over effortlessly.

I try to fight. It's hopeless.

His hands grab my flailing arms before his knees straddle my waist, his hips meeting mine as he sits down upon my body, leaving me helpless against his strength. I feel weak, like there's a chemical in the air causing my body to fall heavy beneath him. His eyes bead into mine, the darkest shade of brown I've ever seen growing black like the night. His chapped lips curl into a snarl, showing off his yellowing teeth slightly hidden behind his short beard.

"Why all these tears, my dear?" I try to scream as his hand makes contact with my cheek, fingers caressing the swollen, damp skin, but my mouth seems sowed shut. "Shay." He sing-songs, my eyes going wide as the voice no longer belongs to that horrific man that ruined my life.

The emerald eyes meet mine; the irises that I once fell deeply entranced now shaking me to the core. I silently sob as my eyes roam his familiar body. His shirt is missing, showing off the black ink that covers his skin. The birds, the old timey ship, the butterfly, the mermaid, and the cursive writing and everything else littered across his body mocks me. His hair cascades down over his face, brown curls identical to those I once loved running my fingers through.