✗ seventy-two ✗

SHAY

31 January

I bite the inside of my cheek whilst listening to the sound of the dial tone sound throughout the room. Harry stands at the side of my bed, with his phone in hand. I wanted to make the phone calls with him, even if I'm in a lot of pain about every five or so minutes.

The first phone call necessary for us to make was to Harry's family. I knew his mum wanted to be the first to know if anything was to happen, she's become quite ecstatic in the last few weeks to meet her granddaughter.

"Hello dear!" Anne's voice rings cheerfully and it brings a smile to my lips. "How are you, my love?"

"I'm well, thanks. Uh, Shay's here too." He barely gets out my name before he's interrupted by his mother.

"Shay, sweetheart, hello! How are you and my grand-baby doing?" I chuckle at her giddiness, growing excited to tell her the news.

"Well Anne, that's actually why we're calling. Harry and I are currently sitting in the hospital –" Anne gasps loudly and squeals. I look to Harry, who is smiling, but rolling his eyes at his mother. "Now we only just got here about an hour ago and I've still got a long way to go, so don't get all excited now."

"Nonsense, this is so bloody exciting!"

"Mum, can you and Robin drive down tonight? Shay and I want to be the only one's in the room, well besides the doctors and nurses, but we'd –"

"Say no more, Harry. Robin gets off work at four and we'll make the drive. You could have called at one in the morning and we'd still make the drive immediately."

"Alright mum, you still have the spare key, right?" Harry asks, drumming his fingers against my thigh.

"Of course. Oh goodness, this is unbelievable! My first grandchild is going to be born." Harry and I chuckle to ourselves whilst Anne sounds on the verge of tears.

"Mum, don't cry. Just call Robin and start packing."

"Okay, okay, but I can't promise I won't cry once I get there. I will see you both soon. I love you both. Keep me posted, Harry, on everything. Oh, and let me know if you need us to bring you anything. Shay, just remember to breathe and feel free to boss my son around in any way you'd like."

"Mum –"

"Sounds good, Anne." I interrupt, wiggling my eyebrows at Harry.

"Okay, love you both."

"Love you too." We say in unison, before Harry ends the call and grins over at me.

"One down, about a million to go." I swat him across the chest and chuckle to myself.

"Only Gem, Louis, and Moxy. Hand me my mobile. I'll ring Moxy, you call the other two."

Harry does as I request and digs deep into the depths of my handbag. It's like Mary Poppins' bag, I swear. When he hands me my phone I waste no time in searching for Moxy's number. I know that I've only a couple minutes left before I have my next contraction, so I have to be quick about this.

"Well hello, Shay Nichols." I pull the phone from my ear and double check that I've rung the correct person. The deep voice threw me off the second they spoke.

"Hi Niall. Where's Moxy?" He clears his throat and groans a bit.

"She's a little preoccupied at the moment. "He stutters out. I roll my eyes and pray that they're not doing what I think they're doing.

"Oh yeah, preoccupied doing what?" Niall sighs heavily on the other line before gulping loudly.

"I-I'm not sure you really w-want to know."