✗ twenty-five ✗

SHAY

SHAY

17 June

"Harry, I don't think I can do this." I admit, clutching onto my bag that rest on my lap as I stare raptly outside the vehicle.

We'd been sitting here twenty minutes already, all the while I spent convincing myself that I can walk in there and be strong. That I can walk in there, point the man out of a line up and be completely done with him for the rest of my entirety. Everything could finally be put in the past. But alas, I'm too chicken to even gather the courage to open the car door and walk inside the precinct.

My entire body feels numb and tingly. My heart is racing in my chest and a cool sweat has broken out above my brow. My hands are the only appendages that actually work, grasping onto my bag and shaking rigidly. I can't even find it in me to cry anymore; yesterday was for that. Today I'm just frozen.

"You can, Shay." Harry's hand on my thigh causes me to jump lightly. I stare down at the large palm on my thigh and immediately clutch it in one of my hands. "You can do anything." I breathe deeply and close my eyes.

I'm going to do this. I'm going to get out of the car. I'm going to march in there, point him out, and then get the hell out of there. I can and will do this.

"Please don't leave me." I plead, making a move to reach for the handle of the door. I know Harry will never in a million years leave me there by myself, but I just have to be sure. Harry nods furiously and opens his mouth to speak, but I only continue. "Please, just don't leave my side. I want you there with me the entire time. Please." Harry flips his hand over in mine and laces our fingers together.

"I won't even let go of you from now on." Harry promises, giving my hand a squeeze before bringing it up to his lips and kissing the skin. "Well, except to get out of the car." He smiles and I find myself, somehow, smiling lightly back at him. "Are you ready?" Harry asks lightly, giving my hand another squeeze. I glance down at our joined hands, then outside to the precinct within close distance.

"I suppose." I murmur, gazing to Harry. He nods his head and shuts the vehicle off, bringing my hand up to his lips.

"Wait here."

Harry quickly detaches our hands before getting out of the vehicle. He jogs around the front of his car, hair blowing back in the breeze, and opens my door for me. I thank him silently as I unbuckle myself and grasp his outstretched hand. Once out of the vehicle the nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach gets worse, and it continues to worsen as we get closer and closer to the doors. "Shay, you're going to be just fine."

I simply nod my head, adjusting the hat on my head as we walk into the building. We both freeze once we're inside, unsure of where to go or whom to speak to. People are walking every which way with determined looks on their faces and clad in professional attire. There are officers guiding men, and some women, in handcuffs towards rooms off to the sides. Even though there are many people around, not one person seems to notice our presence.