✗ thirty-nine ✗

SHAY

20 July

Anger no longer possesses my body like it did yesterday. Actually the second I was out their front door and out of their lives forever, I was happy.

I don't have this nagging internal battle with myself over having to call my mother back after she's left me multiple vivid messages. I don't feel this strain within me, urging me to go crawling back to that messed up life that I once knew. No. I don't feel anything but happiness...

... Well except hunger.

"Harry." I mutter into the telephone, my eyes trained relentlessly upon the large blueberry muffin halfway in Melissa's big trap.

As soon as I saw her place it before her on the desk and carefully unpeel the wrapper I was on the phone dialing my boyfriend behind the closed door. I didn't hesitate, even with a friend and partner all the way from America.

"What? What's wrong?" He questions rapidly. I can hear him fiddling on the other line, but my eyes are glued to the breakfast food being eating away by the woman I cannot stand even for a moment. "You're not going into labor, are you?" His hushed question brings me out of the trance I'm in, only to smack myself in the forehead for his, dare I say it, stupidity.

"I'm only thirteen weeks, you doorknob." I mutter, licking my lips lightly.

I must look like the craziest woman to ever step foot in this office. I'm glaring at the muffin as if it's a naked man; excuse me a NAKED HARRY STYLES. Right now I don't know which I'd rather, a nude boyfriend or a damn muffin.

"Then what's the problem?"

"I need a muffin."

And like that a roar of laughter sounds from the other line, so loud that I can hear him cackling without the phone. Melissa looks back from her desk and glances to the frosted doors to our rear.

"I wonder if Mr. Payne is funny." She says to me, shrugging her shoulders and sending me a wink.

I think she got the wrong idea earlier.

When Mr. Payne entered the office only minutes prior he strutted straight on over to my desk. I had barely taken my eyes off my computer when he helped me to my feet and brought me in for a large hug and a peck on the cheek. To say I was taken back would be an understatement. And I continued to stay in a surprised, and a little frightened, stance until he whispered in my ear, "heard about you and Styles; thank fuck he's finally found someone to hold onto, especially a gorgeous young woman". I think the blush that crept across my face gave Melissa the wrong impression.

"You heard me." I say, interrupting the cackling. "If I don't get a large blueberry muffin with crumble topping within the next five minutes I may just..." I pause. I hadn't thought of the latter option yet.

"You're cute."

"Don't call me cute." I say, a bit too loudly. I can feel Melissa's eyes on me but I ignore them.

No one at the office really knows about Harry and I yet either. We came out as a couple at the banquet last Friday and surprisingly it's been quiet, even with that kiss we shared next to the windows of paparazzi. Now, I don't know if everyone knows and they just haven't said anything, but they haven't approached me about it yet.

"Alright, love, what do you want me to do about it?"

"Honestly, I don't know why exactly I called. I'm just going to head to Starbucks myself." I admit, hanging up the phone and standing from my desk. "Melissa," I say with purpose as I gather my handbag from the floor, "I'm going to Starbucks and I will be back in a few. Take charge." I instruct as I head towards the exit.