✗ forty-two ✗

SHAY

SHAY

23 July

The sizzling of the bacon against the hot pan brings a sense of familiarity to me. There haven't been many mornings where I slave over making a full breakfast, but today seemed as good as any. Harry usually does the cooking, but when I found him and Lux snuggled up together still fast asleep at around nine I knew today was my day to cook.

He deserves a day off.

I had already prepared a ton of fluffy pancakes that are left in the oven to keep warm as I continued making breakfast. The eggs were scrambled to perfection awaiting hungry bodies to gobble them up. The bacon is currently cooking and I've already made freshly squeezed orange juice.

I've forgotten how much I enjoy cooking in these last few months, especially cooking for others.

When I lived on my own I would spend countless evenings preparing Jamie Oliver recipes whilst listening to Ed Sheeran tracks. But since moving in with Harry, I haven't done much of that. Hell, Harry will barely let my prepare meals in fear that I'll injury myself. But now standing in the quiet kitchen that belongs to Harry, with state of the art appliances I've found my previous calling.

"There you are."

I turn on my heels and smile at the sight of Harry standing at the edge of the room. His hair is pulled into a bun on the top of his head and he's pulled a hoodie over the t-shirt he wore to bed last night. Lux is cradled in his arms looking half-asleep.

"Told you I'd find her." He says to Lux, who laughs lightly before pointing to the telly.

"Breakfast isn't quite ready." I tell them. "Lux, why don't you go watch a bit of telly and I'll come get you when it's ready." She perks immediately as Harry sets her down. I turn back to my cooking, turning the bacon so that it doesn't burn as Harry aids Lux in operating the telly.

"Was a bit worried when I didn't find you in bed this morning." I hear before two arms snake around my waist and a chin is placed on my shoulder. I smile at the feeling and lean back into him, keeping my eyes trained on the bacon.

"Just thought I'd be nice for once and do the cooking."

"It is very nice of you. Smells delicious actually."

"Thank you."

"Texted Lou earlier, said we'd drop Lux off after breakfast." Harry says, planting a kiss on my cheek before standing tall and going to the cabinet to fetch some plates.

"How's Lux's father, Clark is it?"

"Yeah Clark, he's good; was just a really bad case of the flu. Lou says he's already back to pestering her about complete non-sense." He says with a chuckle. "Which is totally like him if I'm being completely honest."

I begin to plate the bacon as Harry sets the island.

"Are Clark and Lou married?" I ask, biting my lip.