✗ fifty-seven ✗

Start from the beginning

"After careful examination with an officer present in the room and after the rape kit and evidence had been collected, we performed a few tests. We performed a pregnancy test and serologic tests for some STIs. These tests, unfortunately, can only tell us if these complications were present before the rape but they cannot detect, at the time, if they develop after the rape. We also did blood tests to screen for any drugs or alcohol in the system."

"What were the results?"

"All tests were negative at this time. We took multiple pregnancy tests, all negative, and the serologic tests were negative as well. Ms. Nichols had zero traces of alcohol or drugs in her system."

"Since Ms. Nichols was discharged have you taken any other tests?"

"We have, yes. At six weeks, or ninety days, and most recently at six months, STI tests were done. All came back negative. As for pregnancy tests, Ms. Nichols came into the emergency department four weeks after the rape beyond ill. At the time of her arrival we took blood and urine samples as a precaution, but also to clarify a suspicion I had."

"And what suspicion would that be?"

"That Ms. Nichols was in fact pregnant."

"Interesting," Fawn says, turning and giving me a quick glance before bringing her attention back to Dr. Barnes. She knows that she's got this in the bag. She knows she's going to win, that we're going to win, "what were the results of the pregnancy test?"

"Positive."

"I see, so let's flash forward four and a half months, which would be a couple weeks ago. Ms. Nichols came in for another test, is that correct?"

"It is indeed correct."

"What exactly was the test for?"

"We took a paternity test, where we drew blood from Ms. Nichols along with her boyfriend, Mr. Harry Styles, to identify the baby's father. We were also given a sample of Mr. Morgan's DNA to run against the DNA of the unborn baby as well."

Fawn walks over to the desk and picks up a couple sheets of paper, the papers that have the results from the paternity test on them. I know exactly what they say, so does Harry, and so does everyone else in this room that believes that Mr. Morgan is responsible for what he did to me.

"Are these the results of the paternity test?" Fawn questions, showing Dr. Barnes the papers in her hands before slowly turning to show the jury and everyone else in the room.

"Yes, they are."

"Can you tell me, as well as everyone else in this room, what these two say?" Fawn sets two of the sheets of paper down onto the desk before holding up the other two beside each other.

"On the right you have the child's DNA and on the left you have Ms. Nichols' DNA, it shows that she is in fact the mother from the markers on the sheet."

Duh, I'm growing her in me!

"Okay, and what about this one?" Fawn sets my DNA sheet down and picks up the next one.

"This is the DNA taken from Mr. Styles. As you can see there is no match, whatsoever to the child's DNA, meaning that Mr. Styles is not the father."

Fawn smirks to herself before placing Harry's sheet down and grabbing the last piece of paper. I find myself fighting off a grin as well, knowing that Fawn's basically done it. Once this result hits the eyes of the jurors they'll have all the proof they need in the world to put my attacker away.

"Would you be so kind as to explain this result for us all today, Dr. Barnes?"

"Certainly." Dr. Barnes says with a bit too much joy in the undertone of her voice. "The DNA results on the left were taken from Mr. Morgan at the time of his detainment at Scotland Yard. They clearly show that Mr. Morgan's DNA matches that of the unborn child Ms. Nichols is carrying."